Huangcheng Noodle House

There was a fire at the original location in Oakland Chinatown and they moved to a new location in Swan’s Market, I think at around the time of the start of the pandemic. We have been meaning to get back to this place since then and finally went with friends last weekend. Everything was excellent! The food here is authentic, full of flavor and not overloaded with fat and MSG. Chongqing Street Noodle and Noodle Pick Mustard & Shredded pork were our favorites but everything we ordered was excellent including the Couple’s delight and Spicy sweet potato noodles. The noodles are freshly made and they carve them to order. The quality of the noodles themselves was excellent. The service was excellent the staff was warm and welcoming and the prices were very reasonable. I highly recommend this place.

9 Likes

I also went last weekend. I should have ordered the Chongqing street noodles (fantastic) like my dining companion, but I ordered the tomato egg sauced noodles. They came out 20 minutes after the soup noodles, and were heavily thickened and redolent with raw red onions. I’ve made and ordered tomato egg dishes at a lot of Chinese restaurants (both Northern and Cantonese), and I have never had a version like this. No tomato flavor at all. I’ll definitely be back, but I’m going to order the street noodles. Lesson learned!

Note that they take cash and Venmo for payment if you’re planning on a visit. Outdoor seating in their parklet and some tables on the sidewalk.

9 Likes

I had the Huangcheng cold noodles for an early dinner. Very good and very spicy! Noodles are knife cut in house I believe and had a nice texture, sauced with a very spicy mala sauce that had chili oil with some Sichuan pepper for numbing. Also had some peanuts, bean sprouts, and scallions. It’s spicy!

Noodles were a little over $12 before tax and tip and were a good sized portion. $20 minimum for credit cards.

8 Likes