How safe for visitors to venture up to Harlem for food?!

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7MwAM1/

I don’t know anything about this place but thought of this thread.

1 Like

Samuelsson is one of my culinary heroes. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

I’ve liked Red Rooster in the past, too, but their menu seems somewhat reduced now compared to then. Have you eaten there recently?

Also, although Marcus Samuelsson does have the heritage you mention, I didn’t find his cooking at Red Rooster to have too many Swedish influences, more global. One dish was garnished with curry leaves, for example.

Still, I’m with you as an admirer. My daughter and I attended a talk he gave in 2012 at the Tenement Museum (that great and under-unappreciated NYC institution). Here they are after he’d chatted with her, then signed one of his books:

8 Likes

Aaargh! Meant “Under-appreciated”.

2 Likes

If anything I’ve noticed the Swedish influence waning.

One of the things I particularly enjoy about Red Rooster is the evening vibe. Great people watching.

3 Likes

I’ve been to Sylvias and felt safe. The chicken isn’t very good, though.

In my experience, Harlem and other parts of NYC (and other cities) can vary tremendously block by block

3 Likes

That article…UGH!

Interesting to note that “…have failed to make the neighborhood as safe as others in Queens”

And one my “pet peeves” when speaking of food in NYC:

“…Harlem offers authentic SPANISH and African American food options.” Yet again, confusing SPANISH food (from Spain) with LATIN food (from Latin America)… There may well be a couple of Spanish restaurants in Harlem although I do not know of any apart from a pop up I ate in in East Harlem about 4 years ago which was very good.

There are plenty of Latin-American/Hispanic food options, however, mostly rooted in Dominican (Dominican heartland in NYC is in Washington Heights) and Mexican, and some Puerto Rican traditions; although PR is part of the US, it is still considered “Latin,” as we say here. East Harlem used to be filled with lots of “cuchifritos” shops (and lots of Italian food shops far east) but I think most of those are gone now, many replaced by places representing Mexican (mostly from Puebla) kitchens.

Spanish is a language spoken in most of Latin America. It is not a term correctly used for the food of Latin America.

And, oh yeah…I’m not even finished with the article but I’ve already read varying statements about the boundaries of East Harlem. Who writes these things?

5 Likes

It’s lazy “reporting” by someone obviously unfamiliar with the city: Spanish Harlem must ==> Spanish food, unless you spend 2 minutes checking.

2 Likes

This may be too late, but there is a Charles Pan Fried Chicken on W 72nd St, UWS. This may relieve some stress about heading up to Harlem. NYC has a much higher crime rate than anywhere in Canada. So, hesitation is understandable.

1 Like
2 Likes

after my parents were divorced my mom moved to the south where I spent a lot of my summers eating great bbq and fried chicken. IMO, the best fried chicken in nyc is found in korean restaurants rather than harlem. and at least to my palate, it’s not close.

best,

2 Likes

Have you tried the fried chicken ($38) at Perry Street? I tried it once, with a friend who is from Alabama who has lived in NYC since the 90s. We liked it . I realize it is 3 times more expensive than most Korean fried chicken. https://www.perrystrestaurant.com/menus/dinner

I tend to think of them as different dishes given the coating, manner of frying, and intended temperature / time of eating are often different.

Not unrelated, I’ve wanted to do the Momofuku fried chicken big format meal for a long time but never made it. (I did send my friend’s family there for a graduation dinner, and with two grown and athletic boys, the people-served estimate was very wrong for them :joy:)

I don’t compare the two (Korean vs American) fried chickens. Of course, there is more than one style of fried chicken in Korea as it is.

1 Like

We have quite a few ’ supposedly excellent ’ Korean Fried Chicken joints here in Toronto.
Somehow, I’m just not into their way of seasoning the batter and brine/marinate the chicken…though in general the batter is ultra crisp and crunchy and the bird fairly moist.

And more than one style of American fried chicken in America, too!

@Saregama My husband and I did the Momofuku big format chicken meal with two women friends in 2009. There were two styles of chicken, Korean and Southern. A boatload of each. We also had several other things. Photos of the meal are on my Flickr here: Momofuku Noodle Bar | Flickr

1 Like

I haven’t tried it but I’m sure it’s very good. I have had very good southern fried chicken in nyc but mostly unimpressed with the fried chicken I’ve had in harlem. in my mom’s sleepy little town there are three great places. One of the places had a $15 wed night all you can eat dinner, probably shaved five years off my life expectancy, thank god the owner aged out and closed.

5 Likes

I do understand thinking of them as two different dishes but I find Korean fried chicken scratches my southern fried chicken itch.

I’ve been after my family to try some of the large format dishes at momufuku, not getting much traction. when we lived in westchester I also got a hard no for this:

2 Likes

My last meal in Manhattan was fried chicken at Hill Country Fried Chicken in NoMad in Aug 2019. Sadly, it has closed permanently.