How often do you sharpen your knives?

LOL
And a Roy Lichtenstein fan to boost !

1 Like

I am sure Gordon’s method is ok too. I personally do not have the best assessment of angle, so holding it like Bob Kramer will really help me. Moreover, it is safer over all. The worse you can do is to slip and hit the cutting board.

2 Likes

Also a fan of the old comics, way better than the movies. I rather enjoyed the last Batman movie though, the one with Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz.
I meant Bruce Banner/the Hulk, the strongest of the Avengers ! (or is it Thor ?)

1 Like

Zoë Kravitz is hella . She looks sooo much like her mom. Talk about having cool parents. I was just reading an article about that.

(post deleted by author)

Ok, you win. Shame on me for assuming Wayne. I always think of Hulk as Dr. Banner but that is no excuse. 80s me must be really upset.

P.S. Not a fan of live action superheroes, either. Or even modern comics, no fun, too much trying to solve the world’s problems.

1 Like

Lisa Bonet in Angel Heart…

I am officially off topic!

I was thinking The Cosby Show and A Different World ( I went to Howard University ), but okay. Maybe.

OMG; I’m linking Fox News!

CNN for balance

1 Like

I should stop now, because I’m going into territory where I’m not supposed to be allowed to go into.

But I had doubters and haters of me on Chowhound and I’ll surely have it on hungryonion too (I know I have a dozen or more already by now….)

But I’ll stand by my word.

I’m just an amateur home chef. But a dedicated one.

But here I go again rambling about a person who’s a multi Michelin star chef, a YouTube sensation with millions of subscribers and and a world famous chef and, especially in the US, a well respected chef.

Here I go……let the thumbs down begin on my profile.

I think he’s a legit A-hole, an overrated self proclaimed Star chef, that really should learn proper manners to start with.

Seeing this rambling moronic chef honing his Wüsthof sponsored knives being honed at angles impossible to sustain stable even for a chef with 40+ years of experience trying to teach us novices how to properly hone a knife just makes me sad.

Knife enthusiasts, pro knife sharpeners - please chime in, am I right or am I right ?!?

There I said it. Sorry.
Feel free to hate me.

1 Like

I don’t think they ( Hungry Onioin) have that. If you want to hate on something you’re on your own.

1 Like

No, call him Yuri.

I knew killfloor workers who could touch up a edge with Ramsay’s sort of motion. BUT, they were doing it all day, every day with high-cut steels, and even then they were 'way more delicate about it and WATCHED what they were doing.

What Ramsay’s doing is putting on a show. It looks impressive, but if you looked at the edge under high magnification, you’d laugh.

How can you think I’m hating on a legit A-hole ?!?

I’m not. Just stating my honest opinion about him.

I don’t hate him. Just think he’s a legit A-hole.

And his way of multi speed honing his knives while on camera is not a proper way to hone a knife.

That’s it.

Claus,

I very humbly lay my honing rods on the side, and carry out the same stroke as I use for stropping–which feels very comfortable, if slow.

I’m not comfortable with my “backhand” second stroke in the vertical position.

except

in an emergency, I might try a “freehand in the air” hone.

I’ve seen caterers do a" Gordon Ramsey" while slicing up prime rib in front of customers.

It’s showmanship.

Ray

2 Likes

I totally 110% agree with you, Ray.

But even here on HungryOnion you see people fall for Mr. Ramsay’s ‘honing routine’ and they don’t question it, because he is who he is.

It’s the same people you see open a bottle of champagne by letting the cap fly out in to the room.
They don’t know better.
They don’t realise they are degrading the experience of drinking the champagne by letting a lot of the wonderful bubbles and liquid escape from the champagne by opening it the incorrect way.

I meant there is no thumbs down. “Hate on” was meant to be a figure of speech meaning “to criticize or belittle”. I was not speaking of anyone in particular, but it was in response to you asking folks to thumb you down

1 Like

Indeed. In the lab we used to sharpen microtome blades on the slate tabletops.

Kaleo,

Alton’s “training video” led the Shun Classic VG10 user through basic maintenance with a Shun steel and occasional sharpening by an expert–probably by Shun USA for free.

That advice still works well for a home cook with a Shun Classic.

Ray

Hi Pertti,

I finally received my two Chinese diamond “stones,” 400 and 1000, a mount with a leather strop as a base, some green compound, an angle guide–and a special glove for just over $20. Great stuff.

The best news is that I was already able to used the diamond “stones” and my loaded strop to repair very minor tip damage on my 8.3" Shan Zu Gyo–just as I hoped.

I used the 400 the most–to adjust the angles on both sides to match and lead to the point. I used the 1000 to refine from both sides, then my strop w/green loaded compound to further refine both sides, and a final leather polish.

That’s exactly what I hoped would happen.

Next, the Shopton for highest end polish?

Chefknivestogo says they do a final finish with Shopton 6000

They also strop with leather and a diamond spray . . .

Maybe the spray is all that I need. . .

Ray

1 Like

New strategy for kitchen knife maintenance.

I’m learning that for practical use, softer steel knives need more attention–all the time–to maintain acceptable sharpness whereas minimal but regular maintenance can keep the harder knives really sharp all the time.

I’m about to group all of my softer steel knives, including my Wusthofs, Seki Magaroroku nakiri, Sir Lawrence butcher, Shibazi Cleaverand a few others together with two grabbable honing rods: a steel and a ceramic. I also will have slightly less available pull through sharpeners for touch up. These knives are to be honed at any time, Finally, I now have several diamond stones to use for emergency repair for microchips and damaged tips.

Periodically, I will still strop them, but with 1000 grit white loading instead of the green I’ve been using for everything. I may still fine tune a few with the green–like my Wusthof–but it may not be necessary.

I don’t think the green stropping is necessary for softer steel. It takes a long time and needs to be repeated frequently.

I’ll continue to maintain the harder steel blades with green stropping. I’m considering further refinement with Shopton ceramics or diamond spray on my strops.