How Much for Thin Mints? Some Girl Scouts Raise Cookie Prices.

Until I read this article, I had no idea that prices for girl scout cookies differed from place to place. But knowing that prices at fast food and other chain restaurants can vary depending on location (even in the same city), I guess it makes some sense.

I haven’t had any girl scout cookies since at least 2009, but Thin Mints have long been my favorite. When I was a youngster, one of the companies which baked girl scout cookies was “Burry”, which baked them from 1936 to 1989. Through a convoluted series of sales and purchases, in 1989, ABC Cookie Bakers purchased Burry’s Girl Scout cookie division and is now one of the bakers of girl scout cookies.

As an aside, my favorite cookie as a child was “Barry’s Fudgetown”. They disappeared long ago, but Dare Fudge Cookies taste exactly the same to me.

What’s your favorite girl scout cookie?

2 Likes

BTW, many times I can find NY Times articles available for reading on https://dnyuz.com/. However, if an administrator/moderator of Hungry Onion feels that I shouldn’t post that site for any reason, please feel free to send me a message telling me so, but please try to avoid admonishing me in a public comment…thank you in advance.’ In addition, please feel more than free to delete this entire topic if need be.

Thin Mint is still the winner in this house. $5/box here. I was a girl scout from brownies through cadets, so I always feel obliged to buy. Now my niece is a “cookie mom” for great niece’s troop, so I’m doubly obliged. Currently there’s a box of thin mints and a box of peanut butter patties in the pantry. My sister, mother of the “cookie mom,” is stopping by tomorrow, so I’m guessing I’ll be adding some boxes to the pantry.

I remember last year I was buying a box from the local troop in the vestibule area of my supermarket. The guy in front of me bought 3 or 4 boxes, but no thin mint :astonished: Before I left, he came running back to the sales table . . . apparently his girlfriend was also shocked he hadn’t gotten thin mints and had sent him back to rectify his mistake.

And yes, they were always Burry when I was a scout. And damn, I had forgotten those Fudgetown cookies. Now I’ll need to keep my eyes open for the Dare.

1 Like

Just got a couple of packages (they’re apparently now in plastic packages, not boxes any more) from our granddaughter. I was a bit amazed that the chocolate covered peanut butter cookies’ photo on the package showed a very light-colored chocolate coating when the online page showed it to be much darker. I’m not a fan of milk chocolate, so this was disappointing. Opened the package and the chocolate is milk but much darker than the picture on the package. Cookies are good. Just thinking that the who girl scout cookie thing may be suffering from some operational issues. Not critical…… it’s the Girl Scouts after all.

1 Like

Even the thin mints? Mine are in a box. though the peanut butter were in plastic.

So far we’ve only bought Caramel deLites and Peanut Butter Patties here in SoCal. Both came in plastic packages, not boxes.

No thin mints :exploding_head:

But to op’s question, are they $5 on the left coast as well?

My wife says they were $6 each. :woozy_face:

Not a mint fan.

Same, here in suburban NY my daughter will be selling them for $6 a box, and the box seems to ever shrink…

1 Like

They’re definitely shrinking. OTOH my great niece’s troop had a nice weekend at a horse camp this past fall, so at least some of the money is going to a good cause.

3 Likes

Caramel DeLites/Samoas and Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs are favorites in this house. (These varieties go by different names depending on which company bakes them for the Girl Scouts.)

Side note: I sold Girl Scout cookies one year when I was a kid. My family kept buying boxes from my inventory because having that selection of cookies in the house proved irresistible. Best customers!

4 Likes

I just placed an order for 6 boxes of Thin Mints and 4 boxes of Trefoils with a friend’s daughter. They’re $6 each (!), and the boxes do seem to be smaller every year. We keep them in the freezer but, even then, they don’t last long.

2 Likes

Thin Mints and the shortbread Trefoils here. I’ve seen them for $5 and $6/box in the last year.

If you’re jonesing hard, Keebler ‘Grasshopper’ cookies are exactly thin mints except the shape.

1 Like

These were always my “Girl Scout Thin Mints are out of season” or “I’m too broke to afford Thin Mints” substitution”. I used to see them in dollar stores, but I haven’t lived in the US since 2009, so I don’t know if they are still available. But it’s nice to know that the Keebler ones are.

I like thin mint the most. $6 per box already here. I got three boxes of different flavor and probably more later.

1 Like

$6 per box here in the Bay Area too. I find that I get tired of the Thin Mints after a while. Samoas are a guilty pleasure.
This year, I got the Lemon-Ups, 'Smores (my favorite), and Tagalongs (aka Peanut Butter Patties). I wish we had the Toast-Yays here.

1 Like

I got the s’mores a few years ago. They are no longer available in this area (guess I wasn’t the only one underwhelmed by them(.