How many times during the week are you headed out shopping for groceries ?

I once took the train from Boston to Manhattan to visit a friend who has a pied-a-terre there. She’d brought her cat along from the midwest, and the cat was used to wood stove pellets as litter. I made the mistake of asking my friend if I could bring anything for her - she asked for pellets. So I bought a large bag and transferred as much as I could - about 30 pounds - to a sack strong enough to take some bruising. I had a small, collapsible luggage dolly with me. After dragging it, along with my weekender bag, from train to subway to escalator to street, I was about to collapse. When she opened the door of her Park Avenue apartment, I said, “I will give you a kidney before I will bring Princess litter again!”.

4 Likes

Honestly, this is one of the main reasons that I didn’t get another cat after my NYC kitty passed away - dealing with cat litter (and a box in a tiny apartment) was just too much. We’re moving to Westchester in a month, though, and as soon as we get the house settled, I’m heading to the shelter for some new furbabies!

4 Likes

haha! I was single carless girl in the city for 20 years with kitties myself! Such a heavy PITA. I have to recommend World’s Best Cat Litter to you- it’s lighter, flushable, and a bag lasts much longer than clay because it absorbs better. Well worth the price.

One single trip every week, on Saturday. Difficult for us in weekdays, as we both got back home late from work. No car, and we have an XL Anderson shopper attached to a bike that can transport up to 60kg. (70kg if we have cat litter that week), plus a backpack for the fresh or fragile food, we are good for the week!

2 Likes

Normally three times a week. Not including spontanous trips to farmer markets or other shops to explore

Like ratgirl; almost every day. I live near Jean-Talon Market in Montréal (and yes, that is deliberate) and go shopping other places as well, including a Southeast Asian supermarket nearby, a couple of bog-standard supermarkets for certain things on special, a Greek-owned supermarket in the neighbourhood south of mine as it often has better prices for produce and cheeses I can eat (non-cow) than either JTM or the nearby Italian supermarket - and alas the latter, Milano, fell victim to a rather important fire caused by someone putting out a cigarette in a flower pot (those contain peat moss, which is tinder).

A bit less often in the dead of winter, as it is more of an effort with ice and snow, and there isn’t any truly fresh produce. But I do go out shopping anyway, also because I need the exercise of a good walk (in less severe weather I go by bicycle). I work mostly at home, and it is too easy to become sedentary…

1 Like

I love that. Is it tricky to manoeuvre? I’m sure it must cost much more than my (old Raleigh Sprite) bicycle, but far less than a car or a year of transport passes.

Fortunately I can buy cat litter at a Canadian Tire centre just down the road…

We got it from Amazon.de when it was on promotion, with the bike attachment, lights and everything, it should be around 160€ some 2 years ago. It seems it is a bit cheaper nowadays. We had changed the wheels to bike like tires (not the ones on the photo) and it is much easier to move around even with the weight.

That is very reasonable - it has certainly paid for itself. And unlike other trailers, it can be used as a trolley or handcart (for me, this is in the worst of winter when I don’t cycle due to ice and snow - I do cycle in cold weather, with gloves, hat, scarf etc.)

Do you live in Germany?

No, I live in France, outskirt of Paris.

It’s big as a trolley, a busy Saturday afternoon in supermarket or transport (tram in my case) means a lot of bumping or running over feet. :innocent:

Je connais plusieurs villes de la région parisienne, mais impossible de les connaître toutes, la conurbation est tellement vaste.

Continuing in English for the other Onionists, I love the new trams but they must get very crowded at rush hour and on shopping days.

Bog-standard?
Can you translate that to Oregonian?

I don’t know any Oregonian, but it means run-of-the-mill, ordinary, undistinguished.

2 Likes

I get you, but for me dealing with NYC in general without pets is even more crazy-making for me. My pets have always calmed me down and cheered me up wherever I was living.[quote=“C70, post:23, topic:5896”]
I have to recommend World’s Best Cat Litter to you-
[/quote]
So far we have not had a cat that would use it. Perhaps that will change in the future - it would be easier, yes.