How many different types of Pasta do you keep in stock? (Or Noodle, by any other name...) For what dishes?

Ditto for La Molisano

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve ordered from Amazon capellini, spaghettini, and orecchiette.

Various shapes: spaghetti, linguine, penne, gluten-free penne. Also some OO flour amongst many other culinary things.

One of the reasons I keep The Long and the Short of Pasta around is its recipe for gluten-free pasta dough.

1 Like

The Italian market we shop at in Berlin is a culinary wonderland, with many pasta brands we’d never seen. It’s also very clear that most Italians (at least the expats) love their Mutti products (different types and textures of tomatoes, mostly), as they are all over the store.

5 Likes

I love Mutti’s passata. It’s the only one I use when I make pasta sauce. Costco carries multipacks of it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it very occasionally at our local stores, but I can’t recall where now. I mostly use whole marzano tomatoes, which you still have to squoosh to make-a the sauce-a :smile:

1 Like

I’d be all over that chunky sauce, but the rest of the jammys prefer smooth. Majority rules.

2 Likes

You reminded me: I worked with an Italian guy who said that when he picked up his kid from being babysat by his parents, the kid would speak about the backyarda!:smile:

3 Likes

I really loaded up on De Cecco boxed pastas last time they were half-price. Last week my wife was bugging me nicely about my over-buying, because so often I forget what I’ve already got (or just don’t check), then see something at half price and get more.

So I have this sticky on the pantry door:

DO NOT BUY MORE:

• Jarred soups
  • Hot sauces
  • Jams
  • Diced Tom
  • Cereals
  • Boxed tube-type pastas
  • Mayo or mustards
6 Likes

I need a sticker like that, too - but mostly for dried pasta, mustards, BTB flavors (!), hot sauces. I should put it on the garage door :grimacing:

That’s it? You’re just going to leave us hanging with a NUMBER? Come on! :joy:

What’s making up that 30?

Nice.

I could use that for several things :roll_eyes:.(not currently “allowed” to buy asian sauces of any culture until I have used any two that are as yet unused, no more spices unless I am specifically running out, no “interesting” new types of rice till two are finished, no more vinegar varieties, not salts, no more oil varieties unless I specifically run out, and so on…)

But I had not realized PASTA was a problem I had — until I started this thread and took inventory :rofl:

3 Likes

Nothing like getting yourself into trouble!:woozy_face:

1 Like

Well, if one enjoys cooking, the build up of these kinds of things is inevitable imo. Or at least that’s what I tell myself :smiley:

Seems to me you got that wrong: The cook rules. You insist on something different? Congratulations! You’re now the cook!

2 Likes

Sorry, it was late. :slight_smile:

Stick type semolina/Italian (and GF for all but the last one): spaghetti, vermicelli/angel hair (is there really a difference?), fettucine, linguine, bucatini (this last I only have half a package left). Typical uses for these; red sauce, white sauce, clam, and more often than anything, shrimp dishes.

Stick type “Asian”: 5 varied sizes and shapes (round v. flatter) of wheat paste noodles for stir fries and sometimes in soups, from fairly heavy udon sticks (both round and flat profiles) down to something very fine, about 1/4 the diameter of angel hair pasta. And 7 kinds of rice noodles from very wide flat noodles for Thai type stir fries to very fine rice vermicelli for soups and a fairly fine rice noodle for pho. Honestly I don’t know what a lot of these are actually called because the labels are in Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, one in Korean, and several of these 12 don’t have English-language instructions, although all do have an English-language sticker for ingredients/nutrition. Also two kinds of black bean noodles, and one package of very large, flat, fairly heavy mung bean noodles (about the size of pappardelle, but these are clear/colorless).

Tube type semolina/Italian: Small and large regular elbow macaroni, penne (and GF), gemelli, mostaccioli, rigatoni, cavatappi (and GF), ziti, campanelle, 3-color fusilli, ditalini. I see I’m out of manicotti but don’t use it often anyway. A lot of these are for baked dishes. I use any one of penne, mostaccioli, ziti or rigatoni in “lasagne” - differs from a typical baked ziti type of dish because it is layered like lasagne rather than mixed, and follows a modified lasagne recipe. The fusilli is super weak (maybe due to the veg components) so generally just a light marinara and I’ll be glad when it’s gone. I use cavatappi for lots of mixed dishes and one-skillet casseroles like beef stroganoff or mushroom stroganoff. I made a sauced ditalini once and didn’t see the point of it, so now it’s only used in soups.

Other semolina based: orecchiette, lasagne, orzo, farfalle (lasagne noodles only in GF at the moment). I occasionally make an orzo “risotto” but mostly it’s for soups. And it’s been a long time since I’ve made sheet-style lasagne because we all prefer the tube-style pasta variant instead.

Large and small egg noodles, mostly for stroganoff except as noted above I’ve gotten to where I prefer the cavatappi.

I forgot to count the “fresh” (refrigerator section) pre-made ravioli and tortellini - Rana pasta was 1/2 price so I’ve got 4 kinds of ravioli and 3 (I think) kinds of tortellini in the downstairs fridge. So, counting these last two as a single “type” each, I guess I’m just shy of 40.

Not counted are several kinds of pre-prepared noodle bowls, Army stew, etc.

3 Likes

Now we’re talking :wink:

My vermicelli is a lot skinnier than angel hair

Interesting. To the extent I have noticed differences, I’ve often seen the opposite. But a lot of times they’re very similar.

I think a lot of the stuff I see in US markets might be considered of “non-standard” size. One brand will have fettucine barely wider than another brand’s linguine etc. Then someone has something labeled “thin linguine” or “linguine fini”…

ETA

LoL this, yes. I just counted. I have 62 jars of “extra” spices waiting to replace my usual most commonly used bunch of about 30. All bought because either McCormick or Spice Island were on half-price sale.

2 Likes

Angel hair is much thinner than vermicelli. It’s why I liken it to eating “pasta-flavored air” :smile:

2 Likes

Vermicelli” labeling for Asian noodles is frequently misused imho. The rice kind used to be labeled “rice sticks” of varying widths (the skinny ones had no qualifier, pad thai and wider got “medium”, “wide”, and “extra-wide”) until someone must have decided English-speakers wouldn’t buy “sticks” :joy: :. I’ve also seen mung bean threads / glass noodles called “vermicelli” of late.

Here are the skinny noodles I mean when I say vermicelli – both wheat and rice. And capellini for comparison (probably twice as thick? though I haven’t measured with calipers :rofl:).

And the wider noodles that are not vermicelli but often get mislabeled as such:

1 Like