How do you make your Ti' Punch?

The ti’ punch is one of my favourite cocktails. I make mine using Neisson Blanc 50 rhum agricole. However, not sure what is happening in the world, supply chain issues maybe, but this rum is sold out everywhere I look (in Europe).

How do you make your ti’ punch and what rum do you like to use?

1 Like

I like to have the occasional ti’ punch or two. I use the recipe from the Smuggler’s Cove book, also shown in the video below by Martin Cate, but it’s so simple to make - stir a teaspoon full of cane syrup with 2oz of agricole rum. Then cut a quarter sized slice of lime with some pulp and squeeze into the glass. Drop the lime slice into the glass. Normally this drink is served at room temperature but sometimes I like to add ice.

Personally I think the recipe in the second link in your post has way too much syrup (3 tablespoons??), but chacun prépare sa propre mort. As for rum right now on hand I have a white agricole from Rhum J.M., and for ti’ punch vieux I have a bottle of Clement VSOP agricole.

1 Like

Thanks!

Agree with not wanting to add a lot of sugar. I just quickly googled those websites for a short intro on the drink, not necessarily a recipe.

I use a bar spoon of sugar, as also indicated in this good book on cocktails. As I see the recipe again now in this book, I now have a good substitute for Neisson: Clement.

https://www.rhum-clement.com/en/rhum-blanc-50

1 Like

I love ti punch. I spend at least two weeks a year in the French West Indies on vacations. The locals I know basically have a ti punch with breakfast.

That recipe with three spoons of cane syrup is also way too sweet for my taste. I like mine just a touch sweet and more tart with plenty of citron. When you are offered a ti punch locally, they just put out the bottle of rhum, some syrup and limes. No real recipe. Just ingredients.

1 Like

For anyone who’s in the Bay Area, Forbidden Island in Alameda will serve any of their 150+ rums as a Ti’ Punch.

1 Like