How do you make Chili?

Eh, that is pretty gruesome. I think I’d rather live with the occasional raucous squawk from 15’ overhead as I walk down the street and they perch on the overhead phone lines than come across remains like that on a regular basis. (Not that I’m squeamish about the blood and guts, it’s just not my idea of something particularly enjoyable to see on the street or in someone’s yard…:wink:) And I actually don’t mind the relatively few squawks I sometimes hear as I wake up in the morning - fortunately there aren’t enough of them to actually wake me up…

1 Like

We have a storm coming in so I thought it a nifty idea to revive this thread since we have so much new folks.

1 Like

Some great ideas on this thread. I love chili (and chile) and make several different styles depending on mood. Most recently I made a batch of what I would call a midwestern style chili, with ground beef, onions, garlic and bell peppers in a tomato paste base. I use beans in this style of chili, although because I hate kidney beans I use black beans or pinto beans instead. The secret for me is using high-quality, flavorful chili powder (I frequently grind my own from various dried peppers I grow myself) and other savory ingredients in the “sauce.” Beer, peanut butter, cocoa powder and/or baking chocolate frequently find their way into my chili.

4 Likes

My M-I-L’s chili. Well, you don’t deviate from that, do you?
Ground beef. (Augment with sausage, ground port, other meats)
Onion, garlic,
Chile powder (Here we deviate. Go with your heart)
Cumin
Oregano
Bay leaf (my mother never did)
Tomato (fresh grated, canned diced)
Tomato paste (a tablespoon or so)
Kidney beans (no, no, no…pinto)
Simmer on very low. Serve tomorrow.

2 Likes

EDITED to add yellow onion and garlic

1 Like

Midwest chili :hot_pepper: That’s almost my mother’s recipe too. And I also am not fond of kidney beans.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

It all starts with the beans. There aren’t any, yes I live in Texas.

2 Likes

How do you feel about tomato products in Texas-style chili? I know purists say no, but personally I think a touch of tomato paste really rounds out the flavor of the sauce.

1 Like

Don’t tell anyone because I don’t want to lose my citizenship in the Republic but I do use tomato products.

5 Likes

Back when I was eating vegetarian, I used to make a killer veg chili. Included eggplant, as I remember, and potatoes, tomato, zucchini, red and green peppers, pinto beans, and at the height of the craze, soy protein. Often peanut butter and chocolate. Sure, it was “wrong” but it was certainly flavorful and rib-sticking.

eta I always liked the flavor profile of “Grandma’s” brand chili powder. It is no longer on the market as the original product. The brand exists (was sold) but the current chili powder is just a seasoning mix, containing thickening agents and other non-flavor enhancing ingredients. I think it is nasty.

3 Likes

Saw this by Ottolenghi in the Guardian today. No beans, if I read it correctly.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’m from Ohio, so “yes” to Cincinnati chili! Just put aside your chili expectations. It’s a warmly spiced meat sauce served on spaghetti topped with kidney beans out of the can, chopped raw onions and shredded cheddar cheese. I’ve been making it for many years. I like mine better than what is served in the chili parlors.

8 Likes

I like homemade Cincinnati chili too, once in awhile - tasty and different.

3 Likes

Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I wouldn’t call Chile Verde chili, but if the category is being broadened, my choice for New Mexico would be Carne Adovada.

The closest I’ve had to Cincinnati chili is canned Skyline chili which I didn’t care for. Probably not a good introduction to Cincinnati chili.

5 Likes

No, not a good introduction to Cincinnati chili. As canned Hormel chili is not a good introduction to the food group. The vocabulary surrounding “chili” is a minefield.

5 Likes

Chili for us starts with the sauce from freshpreserving, minus the chilis. It has some good allspice in it. Sometimes meat substitute, sometimes just beans, served over macaroni noodles and topped with cheese and red onion.

3 Likes

California doesn’t appear to be on the least, and neither does my favorite. Something like this one. They’ve attached the wrong picture.

This version is faster, and I sometimes used Costo shredded chicken breast on those cryovac packages.

2 Likes

This seasoning mix, made in Kansas City, no MSG, no fillers, no preservatives, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, makes it possible to have chili on the table in an hour any night of the week. Brown your meat, add a can of tomatoes (I usually use V8 juice), your choice of beans, stir in seasoning, boom. My grandma used to give me this for Christmas when I was in college🙂. Sorry about the billboard-size photo.

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve see this in grocery stores here but never gave it a try.

1 Like