How do you eat your (street) taco?

I usually order two tacos. I love it when they come with a paper wrapper, and am so used to that that I carry a ziploc of wrappers in the car. So…I lay down a wrapper and move the top tortilla and its filling to the paper. Then split the filling, piling half onto the bottom tortilla. Open and seed the jalapenos, adding one half to each (of now 4) taco, or two halves if they’ve given me enough. Swaddle the taco in its paper and enjoy, attacking it from the top/open end of the swaddle. Repeat with the second (which now = 3rd and 4th) taco.

1 Like

No ceremonial practices for us. We order lengua and have at . . .

2 Likes

I also split the two into four, most of the time. Sometimes the two tortillas are too stuck together to come apart easily. The local taco truck gives you a small cooked onion with each order, and it gets split among the four tacos.

2 Likes

I…pick them up and put them in my mouth?

5 Likes

On the plate with a knife and fork .

Seinfeld Snickers Bar on Make a GIF

3 Likes

Yato Herzog GIF - Yato Herzog GIFs

3 Likes

I can honestly say it has never entered my mind to eat a taco with a knife and fork. Because the very term “street taco” pretty much says there’s no table or utensils.

Or to carry a ziploc of taco wrappers.

2 Likes

When we order to go, they come in sixes. I empty as much filling as I can into the fewest tortillas. Maybe 4 tacos out of six.

Hi!

• someone who carries a tiny bottle of Tabsco, a couple packets of Tony’s, salt, pepper, napkins and sometimes plastic gloves in case there’s seafood boil or something.
2 Likes

Exactly so.

The best street tacos are eaten at an odd-ish hour (very late night, 2 in the afternoon) sitting on a curb or the trunk of one’s car, with a handful of ineffective paper napkins and a cold bottle of Jarito’s or a mexicoke.

1 Like

You should try it .Cutting edge .

1 Like

:100:…when you have to lean over because they’re juicy and its better than a.thin napkin at keeping you from wearing it all.

At a sales meeting we were talking about where to find the best tamales.

I replied that the greatest ones come out of some abuela’s trunk down at the laundromat.

My Chicago colleague was horrified, my Miami colleague busted out laughing, then agreed with me and assured the Chicago guy that its true.

1 Like

In California, you look in big box parking lot for a guy selling his abuela’s tamales out of his pick-up or SUV.

Most Central California taco trucks have regular spots where they leave a picnic table of sorts, rain or shine. Both truck staff and clientele are predominantly ESL or non-English speaking. These shared tables add to the dining experience. I am amusing as these locals aren’t used to see an old Gringa piling jalapeno on their taco.

1 Like

The only tamale worth eating is an abuela’s.

3 Likes

That’s especially ironic seeing as the Chicago bar scene had a ‘tamale guy’ that was internet famous for a while, which seems much in the same spirit. The city tried to shut him down, there were lawsuits, etc. He’s apparently gone semi-legit now:

2 Likes

Right? I was under the impression that Chicago is a huge enclave of Mexican immigrants.

1 Like

Indeed. My brother was a particular fan of one place that did not, so far as he could determine, have a name. There was cheap plastic sign above the door that said ‘Mexican Food’. They served brain-and-eggs breakfast burritos, and he was a particular fan of their lengua tacos.

1 Like

Aw, man. It’s been too long since I’ve had brains…

… Nah. Too easy. :slight_smile:

though more seriously, I wonder if the whole ‘mad cow’ scare has made brain a less popular, less generally available ingredient?

I’ve never had it myself. I will have to make a point of it now.

1 Like