Houston - Best Burger?

I had seen the sign but didn’t know the Napoli context.

I have no idea what that is under the fries. Slices of turkey?

Small local chain Jerry Built has closed. I went once, well, maybe twice. That’s how memorable it was.

Meanwhile, Buff Burger is planning a second location (in Montrose). I’ve never been but have been intrigued. I can’t see that name without having to do a double-take and I wonder why they would choose a name that could so easily be misread? Maybe it’s like the old Smucker’s line - with a name like …, it has to be good?

Not that this has much to do with the original topic – Jerry Built certainly didn’t qualify IMO. But it gives me an opportunity to opine that Houston is over-burgered, way over-burgered. If I was getting in to the resto business these days the last thing I would consider would be a burger place.

I thought I wrote here on Buff Burger (owner’s nickname). I did not like it much and only went once.

1 Like

Must’ve missed it. Thanks. I have a burger so infrequently there’s no telling when I might get around to trying it anyway.

I couldn’t find it when I searched so it may be on the other site.

Before I evacuated Sharpstown I used to enjoy the greasy, charbroiled burgers at Bellaire Broiler Burger. They’re kind of thin so a double is in order and the excellent bacon is a plus.

There was a Prince’s Drive-Inn next door complete with car hops. I don’t think I had a burger there because the fried fish basket with fresh onion rings was so good.

Man I miss that place as there was nothing better than sitting in the car eating that fish and rings with a cold Bud and good '70s tunes on the radio.

2 Likes

Still cranking 'em out there. I haven’t been in maybe as much as a decade but every time I drive by during lunch, the parking lot is full.

Did that used to be a Brittain’s Broiler Burger or something? When I first came to town in 1970, there was a Brittain’s (?) on Westheimer across from St. Anne’s and I went there several times. Loved those old broiler burger places. When it closed someone told me it had moved out to Bellaire but I didn’t get out there to try it for years.

I didn’t realize there was a Prince’s there, too. After shuttering all their places in the last few years Prince’s is attempting a rebirth with a place on Ella just outside 610.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was a Brittain’s. Prince’s was in the lot just to the west in what is or was a bank.

1 Like

Ok, going to the Sherman and Peabody way back machine there was a Burger Chef nearby and a Shakey’s Pizza and a Lum’s Hotdogs just west on the north side of Bellaire in Houston proper. They were just across the road from Kentucky Fried Chicken when they had good chicken in buckets and my first ever tater tots.

1 Like

The only Lum’s and Burger Chef I ever went to were in Austin but I think I may remember that Shakey’s along there.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a Lum’s again but I only went to BC once; the condiments bar was about as well kept as a dumpster and I never went back. Some people allege they were good burgers.

The dials and crystals and tubes in my way back machine are not in good shape; I fear if I tried it out I might not be able to come back to the present.

2 Likes

I ordered a Whataburger Jr. with cheese and jalapenos.

I mean, even if you are new in the drive thru, you have eaten at a Whataburger, right?

1 Like

That’s the “OTHER” side of awful.

In re-reading this thread, I don’t see Jaymes’ favorite Katy place, Willy Burger.

I know it has it’s own thread, but it needs to be mentioned here also. Never been to the Beaumont location, but the Katy place is fantastic. Great burgers and onion rings.

I’ve made the drive out there a few times and it’s very easily worth it.

1 Like

Today is national onion ring day. I may have to honor it.

2 Likes

So how was that Junior?

This location on I-10 btwn Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford is inconsistent. It was extremely salty.

The one near me on Long Point has a bad habit of serving pre-cooked cold burgers so I order a double junior and they come out fine.

We go to the Silber location for a reliably good fresh Whataburger with good fries.

Not to mention I’ve ordered a thousand of these in my life and the jalapeños have always come sliced and on the burger. Never seen whole ones like this. Their burgers are not right without jalapeños

Hah! I haven’t been in so long I assumed they had added whole jalapenos to the menu and you ordered that!

So does anybody in our lil’ group go to any fast food burger joint other than Whataburger??? Back when I was working and pressed for time I relied on fast food places a lot but I had to have a variety, none of them was worth exclusive loyalty - Whataburger, BK, Wendy’s, JitB. I only went to McD’s for breakfast. My last Whataburger was so bad, it would probably be the last place I’d consider going today.

I used to like Burger King and Wendy’s before they pre-cooked everything so they could hustle the cattle through the drive-thru and be like McDonald’s.

Breaking news!!! I had a burger at MY HEB today. It’s advertised as prime beef, a third of a pound. I asked for medium rare but it came out medium well/well with all the juice cooked out.

I’ll stick with the BBQ and my stack of buy one get one free coupons. It’s quite serviceable every couple of weeks or so and the price is right and it’s close by. There is no good BBQ in Spring Branch so we have to drive awhile for the good stuff.

1 Like

i ordered the sandwich as I have for decades, I didn’t even know they had whole peppers! At the window he asked if I wanted the peppers sliced and on the burger and I said, yes? How else? Then they came whole, I guess because he hit a wrong button.

For fast food burgers I also like Sonic cheeseburger with mayo and jalapenos. Sonics do vary by location in quality just like Whataburger though. How do you sit in a car line for 10 minutes during peak lunch and end up with cold fries? That’s happened countless times at Whataburger and it always baffles me. Denny’s has a pretty amazing burger too. The one on Wilcrest at I-10 has just been remodelled (again) so that it is mostly booths. There, my guilty pleasure: sometimes I go to Denny’s for breakfast and order a burger, because the whole menu is available and I’m not a fan of breakfast foods.

3 Likes