[Hong Kong] Xin Dau Ji 新斗記 - roast meat still good?

We went to the Causeway Bay branch of Xin Dau Ji, situated at the 2/F Holiday Inn Express. It has good reputation for the suckling pig, and this dish is one of the favourite of my partner.

Signature Crispy suckling pig

Famous Roast goose

Mottled Spinefoot Congee - my favourite of the night, strong taste of fish and ideal eating with the crispy bread stick

Fried bread stick

Shrimp roe pomelo peel - I find the peel somehow tasteless, the taste didn’t penetrated into the skin

Xin Dau Ji - entrance

The roasted meat was alright. Maybe the pig was a bit too skinny and lack the fat that made it an amazing plate. We both agreed that we had eaten better pigs in our lives. The goose was quite good. The down side was really the service, they didn’t bother to take order even if you succeed in stop the passing waiters, bear in mind this particular night, the restaurant wasn’t full. And we needed to ask several times to trace our order. The congee came only at the end when we nearly finish the meal, and I was thinking since it didn’t arrive, we should maybe cancel the order. And only then it arrived, and we had to ask for the doggy bag. I read a bit more, in fact a lot of people complain about their staff and service, especially they forget to place order. I have no idea if another branch would be better. I would like to hear your experience of this restaurant.

Xin Dau Ji
2/F, Holiday Inn Express
33 Sharp East Street
Causeway Bay
Tel: 3162 8899

3 Likes

That piece in your picture was indeed quite lean. How’s the goose compared to Kam’s?

I like more the goose from Kam’s, more tasty.

As for Xin Dau Ji, I tried reading other people’s experience, many still approve their meat or meal, but complain a lot about the service. Maybe I was on a bad day. But I have heard the days before it got the michelin star was much better, any they didn’t kept the star for long too.