[Hong Kong] The tofu custard dessert shootout

Since I dearly love tofu custard desserts, and get my hands on one whenever I get a chance, I thought I’d do a comparison of tofu custard desserts I ate on this trip. Would love others’ opinion as well.

Kung Wo Dou Bun Chong 公和荳品廠

Hong Kong, Sham Shui Po, Pei Ho St, 118號號地下
深水埗北河街118號號地下

Kung Wo in Sham Shui Po has been around since 1909, and sells all forms of soy-based food, e.g. tofu, dried tofu skin, soy milk, tofu custard. We got the tofu, soy milk and tofu custard that evening.

_D3A7400

The tofu custard was very smooth, and came with a bag of yellow sugar for liberal sprinkling on the custard. The tofu was notable for its soy-iness, often absent from most renditions of tofu custards. The tofu fragrance came from the slow stone-grinding of soy beans, which helped retain the aroma. It was one spectacular bowl of tofu custard. I somewhat regret that we only got two bowls to go that day. Should have gotten like half a dozen to slowly enjoy. If not for the fact that tofu custard doesn’t travel well internationally, I would have brought them home :smiley::smiley: .

The tofu itself was also notably soy-iy, just like the custard. Even the parents appreciated the aroma. Thumbs up from them.

6 Likes

Yan Wo Dou Bun Chong 人和荳品廠

55 Jardine’s Bazaar, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
銅鑼灣渣甸街55號

Located right next to the Canal Road Flyover in Causeway Bay/ Wanchai, also known as the bridge in ‘Under-the-bridge crab’ dish.

I got the custard and the soy milk. The custard was pretty smooth. But the soy aroma was much less notable compared to Kung Wo’s. If I didn’t eat Kung Wo’s version just a few days ago, I would have considered Yan Wo’s version pretty nice. Though Kung Wo’s version was superior.

3 Likes