[Hong Kong, Sham Shui Po] Lau Sum Kee Noodle 劉森記麵家

Lau Sum Kee Noodle has been around since 1956, and is most famous for its jook sing noodle made by hand by a master noodle-maker. The dough is kneaded by bobbling on a bamboo pole secured on one end. This traditional way of making noodles is a dying art in this city, and Lau Sum Kee is one of the few that remains that carries on the tradition.

It takes a lot for me to give up the broth of a bowl of wonton noodle (see my avatar). But at Lau Sum Kee, its worth it to get the version with the broth (and wonton) on the side with shrimp roes generously sprinkled on top. As usual, the noodle was full of bounce and was very good.

The meal was a while already so I don’t remember much about the wontons themselves, though I recall I enjoyed them at the time.

Mixing it up a bit, we got the version with beef brisket/ tendon for the second plate (and then the original for the third bowl). They were good also. The noodle was still the star though.

The pickled radish available for free at the table.

Menu:

Plenty of recognition for the shop. Here’s an article with much more information about the noodle making process and the shop’s history.

They got three branches within a block or two of each other. We went to the original branch.

After a full day of very long cross-border travels by bus/ and train, this delicious meal truly comforted the soul.

When I grew up, every time on the day that the school semester ended, I went to the Golden Computer Mall a block away, though I never ate at Lau Sum Kee or any of the traditional eateries around Sham Shui Po. Not enough appreciation at the time for the old Hong Kong traditions I suppose and only focused on the shiny new toys!

5 Likes