[Hong Kong] Modern Chinese cooking at Ming Bistro 名館

Ming Bistro is situated on the top floors of Hysan Place in Causeway Bay. The cooking is mainly Cantonese and Shanghainese cuisine with a few Hong Kong highlights and some Western influences. I tried to find a good dim sum place, it was recommended as one of the more interesting place on the Open Rice restaurant website.

A splendid view of Causeway Bay despite a gloomy day.

We were there around 3pm, still quite a lot of people.

They had an interesting tea time menu for late lunch, from 2pm until 5pm.

Roast Squabs

Prawn spring roll - We were rather surprised at the presentation, “smoke” came out from the “cigars” rolls.

Mongolian lamb pancake with curry sauce

Sichuan dumplings with sweet and sour sauce

Hong Kong street food rice rolls

Typhoon shelter style fried soft shell crab

Soy bean milk

The meal on the whole was delicious, rather fun, mixing different cuisines as its concept, which worked in Hong Kong as people seek new stimulations all the time. We were expected to eat a good solid dim sum meal, on that level we didn’t feel we had substantial dim sums to feel satisfied. We had to seek that else where.

Ming Bistro 名館
Shop 1401, 14/F, Hysan Place
500 Hennessy Road,
Causeway Bay,
Hong Kong

7 Likes

The place looked real fun! I’m so tempted to visit HK.

My HK cousins tell me that it’s much easier to make reservations at top restaurants nowadays as foreign visitors had dropped off because of the last few months’ social unrest. But the new threat of the Wuhan virus is now throwing the spanner in the works.

Quite a few previously popular eateries had closed their doors last year:

1 Like

It’s getting worse each day, looks like that this thing will last until summer, when the temperature will be too hot for the virus to propagate.

This sucks. And more soon, with the doors half close to Chinese tourists, trains and boats will stop the circulation between HK and China soon due to virus. I don’t know if the locals are going out or staying at home.

1 Like