Hong Kong Lounge Bistro [SF, Soma]

The people behind Hong Kong Lounge II opened up a small spot on Folsom by 7th after a long delay after the fire and then covid.

We had:
Fried Pork Puff

Shrimp Noodle Roll

Pan Fried Tofu Skin Roll

Siu Mai

Pan Fried Noodle Roll in XO Sauce

Was pretty good overall.

• The pork puff was well done — the dumpling was really good, not too stuffed though
  • The noodle roll was really good — nice noodle and big, plump shrimp
  • Pan fried tofu skin roll was also good. I prefer the steamed version which they don’t have but these were the best ones I’ve had of the pan fried version. Served with black vinegar
  • Siu mai — I don’t usually order sui mai but these were quite good. Big sized and really full and stuffed
  • The XO noodle roll was my least favorite dish — somehow they were quite bland on their own. Served with hoisin but would think you shouldn’t need it for XO noodles (also I like my XO sauce better)

Prices are kind of high for dim sum but it’s more of a small space with small tables so not doing big volume. But quality was high and happy to have a good dim sum spot in the area so don’t have to walk to Lai Hong every time, even if I like the latter more.

12 Likes

What are your favorite dishes at Lai Hong?

I only go there for dim sum but we get a lot of different things on different visits.

My favorite dim sum item is steamed tofu skin rolls and theirs are really good. I like rice noodle rolls and they do them well — I like the steamed pork rib noodle roll as well as the shrimp and bbq pork versions. The pan-fried mushroom buns. The chiu zhao dumplings. My gf always gets the turnip cakes. Their fried pork puffs are done well — they fry them better but I think I might actually like the HK Lounge Bistro version taste wise more, even if they were under fried a touch. Clam meat with noodles. Their baked char siu bao are good. My gf loves custard buns and likes theirs a lot. There’s a curry beef dumpling that we get sometimes.

Not all my favorites but those are some things we usually/sometimes get off the top of my head.

4 Likes

Thanks for your detailed round up! We live almost around the corner so we’ll check it out sometime…