Fronted by talented chef, Canadian Matt Abergel, Ronin offers fusion Japanese-Korean izakaya-style cuisine. Ronin’s nondescript entrance - see the brown handle on the black doorway?
Long bar counter seating:
- Kumamoto oysters, apple and ginger juice.
- Uni, Fresh Nori, Aonori Panko.
- Tai Seabream, Kampachi Amberjack, Horse Mackerel, Yellowtail.
- Sanma Tartare, Myoga, Spring Onions, Chips.
- Flower Crab, Uni and Mitsuba.
- Lily Bulb Tempura, Tensu.
- Grilled Itoyori, Olives-Tomato.
- North Korean baby crabs.
- Quail, orange, sansho. For me - this is the dish of the evening: juicy quail meat, complemented perfectly by the orange peel-marinade:
- Kagoshima Beef, Maitake, Eggyolk.
- Udon, Clams, Garlic Leek.
- North Korean Hokkigai (Surf Clam)
The chef himself: Canadian Matt Abergel. He’s got Moroccan heritage, but which he does not refer to for his cuisine/cooking techniques:
Address: Ronin, 8 On Wo Ln, Hong Kong. Tel: +852 2547 5263.