[Hong Kong]- Dim sum @ Cuisine Cuisine, Mira Hotel.

Before hitting Hong Kong I requested reasonably priced breakfast spots near our hotel, preferably dim sum.

@naf quite rightly pointed that Hong Kong was no time to be skimping on dim sum and @klyeoh pointed me to Cuisine Cuisine @ The Mira Hotel, which was very near our hotel. As luck would have it they started serving sim sum at 10:30 am on a Sunday and had a table available

Cuisine Cuisine is in a hotel/shopping complex and is a bright modern space and the place was fairly full of families having dim sum.

The menu had it’s fair share of classics but also some more innovative takes on dim sum. We started with Pork Xao Long Bao. Good thin skins and nice sweet pork.
Next up was Steamed rice flour rolls stuffed with scallops, duo clams and vegetables. Perfectly cooked seafood and spankingly fresh vegetables.

Steamed wild mushroom and black truffle dumplings. These were a little disappointing. Very thick gelatinous skins and I couldn’t detect any truffle.

Pan fried turnip cakes with Parma ham and prawns in X.O chilli sauce was the stand out dish. Nice crisp on the outside on the turnip cakes and soft on the inside. The Parma ham added a nice saltiness and was lovely and crisp. The sweet XO sauce set everything off nicely.

4 Likes

This looks original, what are the violet spots? Very colourful rice rolls.

I think the size they chopped up the vegetables were a bit big. Chinese truffle is lighter in taste. But most of the time, I suspect it is just a way to charge more for the dish without really using much truffle.

The things they do with dim sum these days - Janice Wong in Singapore has some radical versions:

Indeed pretty, the dim sum of Janice Wong.

Talking about new or creative dim sum, there are 3 trends it seems:

1/ Creation of new dim sum from scratch
The example I can think of is Yee Tung Hee in Causeway Bay, the mushroom plate, the dim sum with 2 fish or the eggplant puff.

2/ New ingredients in a classic form
Example, I think Janice Wong is in this category, and also the colourful Xiao Long Bao in Paradise Dynasty. Flavours include cheese, szechuan, garlic, ginseng, foie gras, black truffle, crab roe or durian.

3/ Dim sum is still classic, fabrication method not classical
The Xiao Long Bao I ate at Bo Innovation (Wanchai, Hong Kong), the taste was exactly the classic Xiao Long Bao, but the form was a bubble, molecular cuisine.

(Photo credit open rice)

This one is much harder to detect, but I suspect certain dim sum in Ming Court. (Or maybe the chefs have great craftsmanship.)

1 Like