[Hong Kong] Casual Cantonese dining at Chee Kei, Tsimshatsui.

Chee Kei (池記) is one of the many Cantonese noodle & congee chain of eateries one finds all over Hong Kong. This is very competitive, survival-of-the-fittest, market, so the fact that Chee Kei has been around for over two decades attest to its ability to give local HK diners what they want.

I had a quick meal here at the Lock Road, Tsimshatsui, branch one evening with an ex-colleague who worked nearby in Harbour City. There’s a perpetual queue (longer during peak meal-times) for a table in its cramped dining premises.

1. Started off with very light, crisp-fried wantons recommended by our waitress.

1. Egg noodles topped with salted shrimp roe:

1. Crab congee - one of the weekly specials. Okay-tasting.

1. Blanched “gai lan” vegetables with oyster sauce dip.

Address: Chee Kee (Tsim Sha Tsui branch), 52 Lock Rd, Hong Kong. Tel: +852 2368 2528.

1 Like

I don’t know if I am remembering another unrelated Chee Kei, though the one that I remember, from some 20 years ago, was pretty hole-in-the-wall. If they are related they certainly have upgraded their decor significantly.

It’s probably the same one - but the hole-in-the-wall has metamorphosized into a Hobbit hole.

From what they said on their website said, they were there since 1994…this matched your timeframe.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Honghe Hani Rice Terraces, Yuanyang County, Yunnan
Credit: inkelv1122, Flickr