[Hong Kong] Breakfast at Wong Chi Kei, Stanley St, Central.

Wong Chi Kei is one of the oldest and most well-established Cantonese bamboo noodles spots from Macau, but which has opened a HK outlet in recent years to satisfy the demands of many Hongkongers who’d previously taken a ferry ride all the way to Macau for a taste of its noodles.

This outlet on Stanley Street, Central, opens from 7.30am for breakfast. It can be pretty crowded in the early morning and also at lunch-time. We went there just past 9am on a weekday - one of the quiet periods in the otherwise very busy restaurant.

1. Wong Chi Kei’s very springy wanton noodles with some really superlative wanton dumplings.

1. Pork and century egg congee - done very well here - smooth, very flavoursome ivory-white rice congee like only the Cantonese know how to make.

1. Century eggs with pickled ginger - superb, but still not up to Yung Kee’s standards:

Address:
Wong Chi Kei
Secure Building, 10-12 Stanley St.
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2869 1331

2 Likes

?

I am a bit of a wonton noodle soup nerd, so I have to ask, how does this place compare to, Mak’s, Tasty, Jor Lun Yau Lei? It definitely looks like the ‘traditional’ size for sure with that deep color broth!

And how does their congee compare to e.g. Mui Kee?

As an aside, I don’t know how you took the noodle picture from above. Every time I try to do that, the camera lens got all fogged up from the steam.

One thing about Wong Chi Kei’s wanton noodles - they seemed finer and smoother than HK versions. But my opinion here is just from this latest visit. I’d been to Wong Chi Kei’s in Macau itself but that was in 2010 - too long ago for me to recall and compare to Mak’s which I tried at its Causeway Bay branch this time. Tastewise, I’m afraid I’m not as much of a wanton noodle connoisseur to tell the difference - just that Wong Chi Kei’s rendition suits me more, plus its much better ambience.

Our wanton noodle from Mak’s @ Causeway Bay:

P.S. - To take a photo of your noodles sans the steam - get your dining companion to fan the steam away :smiley:

Assuming you haven’t already started eating the bowl at Mak’s when you snapped the picture, you get more noodles and the noodles served above the soup at the Central branch :relaxed:

Yes, I noticed HK wantan noodle places would place the wantan dumpings at the bottom of the bowl and place to noodles on top - almost like using the dumplings to “prop up” the noodles so it won’t get too soggy, soaking in the hot soup.

I am going to contradict my previous post. Even though I mentioned the noodle on top way of serving as the old school ‘proper’ way of serving wonton noodle, I don’t really think its very needed. The old school bowl is small, so one can finish the noodle in 5 minutes. Given the noodle is beyond al dente, it really can’t get that soft in 5 minutes.

And if the bowl is large, all that noodle sitting in the air is just going to cool off. I’d rather have slightly softer, but hot, noodle, than lukewarm, but firm, noodle.

1 Like