[Hong Kong] Aberdeen Yau Kee Noodles Factory 香港仔有記粉面廠

Quite possibly the most expensive dry noodles I’ve bought. I got some dried shrimp roe noodle and brought it back to the US. It came in a bag of 6 rolls of noodles. The bag was about I think HK$60. Memory was a bit hazy since its a few months back.

I boiled them in unsalted, unseasoned, plain tap water. The result? The noodle itself was springy, al dente with a great shrimpy taste. The water was infused with all the flavors run off from the noodles into the water to form a delicious seafood broth, without me adding any soy sauce, fish sauce, salt, etc. Its rare to get noodles that has enough flavors to season the water itself. Almost always, I have to season the water (unless I cook with stock) to impart flavor to the noodles.

Highly recommended. They got retail storefronts around Hong Kong. I got mine from Wanchai near the Bowrington Road wet market, and Times Square in Causeway Bay.

Retail locations:
http://www.yaukee.hk/store.html

6 Likes

Also came across Kang Kee while walking around Wanchai. I heard it got a good reputation. Anybody tried?

Have you heard about this place? It has a long history, around 60 years old. Not only famous for shrimp roe noodle, they make some 250 types of noodles.

Cheung Wing Kee 張榮記蝦子麵廠
G/F, Rammon Mansion, 3-5 Station Lane, Hung Hom, Kowloon

1 Like

No, I haven’t heard about it. I’d love to try it, except that I have never had any reason to go to Hung Hom. And they don’t do online shopping any more.

Thanks for the recommendations. Went to the Wanchai Branch, located in the wet market behind Times Square in Causeway.

Bought some dried shrimp roe wide noodles and scallop shrimp roe fine noodles

Fresh vegetables pork wonton

We liked our bowls. Without adding seasoning and salt, the “broth” was quite tasty already with noodles. But I believe with a good broth, it will be so good. The wonton was very tasty as well.

Yau Kee Noodles
9-7E, Tin Lok Lane,
Wanchai

5 Likes

I forgot to report from my last trip that I got many types of noodles from their main branch in Aberdeen, include the various types of higher priced dried shrimp noodles, e.g. with scallop, jinhua ham, etc. I will dig up the pictures soon.

Not having done a side by side taste test, I thought the higher priced shrimp noodles taste similar to the lower priced shrimp noodles. So getting the cheaper one seems to be a better deal.

1 Like

Curious about the ham one, good?

It is good. The problem is I couldn’t quite tell it apart from the regular dried shrimp noodles…

Those look delicious. I’ve been reluctant to bring shrimp noodles back to the US because they may be “caught” unless declared.

Locally in the SF Bay area, where can I pick up good quality shrimp noodles (both thin and wide)? Over the years, I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by the ones I can get at Ranch / Marina.

OK, tried the scallop shrimp roe noodles, I can’t tell about the scallop part. But between the thinner noodles and the thicker ones, I like the thicker ones. I will go back and get some more, maybe I will try to ask about the cooking time.

1 Like

For cooking time, just throw it in the water, and take it out of the pot just short of al dente. Shouldn’t take more than 1.5-2 minutes. Anything more the noodle is ruined.

2 Likes

My customs sense is tingling…

The main Aberdeen branch. Interestingly most people weren’t buying the dry noodles, but other things like fresh rice cheong fun. Hmmph.

4 Likes