Honeysuckle

We had a honeysuckle vine in the backyard and in the summer it was a treat. We’d pluck some flowers and get a drop of succulent honey from each one washed down with cold water from the garden hose.

I’m not sure if this is a Texas/Southern thing.

Did anybody else experience the joys of honeysuckle?

lonicera japonica - Yahoo Image Search Results

4 Likes

I have two honeysuckles in the garden - both planted this year so not yet well established. They replace one that was here when we moved in over 40 years ago and which jad become very tired. I never knew you could extract “honey” from the flowers.

3 Likes

When I was a kid, the family rented the same house in Cape May, NJ for two weeks every summer. The house next door had a large honeysuckle which my sisters and I would pluck every evening. Your post brought back some great memories :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

It sure tastes like honey and is pollinated by bees.

When you pull the flowers from the vine pull the bottom of gently and a drop of goodness will come out.

Honeysuckle - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Now I want to run out to my garden store and plant one back by my shed. Although I doubt it would live up to my childhood memories. And I’m sure the deer would devour it before it matured.

3 Likes

I just talked to my friend from childhood and he has fond memories.

We used the dried out vines to toast marsh mellows when my Father grilled hamburgers. Smores weren’t around back then and to this day I’ve never had one. I’m good with a burnt marsh mellow.

1 Like

S’mores have been around forever. I’m in my 50s, and recall having s’mores around the girl scout fire on warm summer evenings. They were great. Sometimes mom and dad even allowed my sisters and me to toast them over the gas burners in the kitchen (no outdoor fires in my neighborhood of twin homes in Northeast Philly).

As my nieces\nephews and great nieces\nephews grew into s’more age I realized how sickeningly sweet they are. But they’re still popular . . . my local grocery stores offer packages that combine graham crackers, Hersheys, marshmallows and toasting sticks all summer.

2 Likes

That blows my theory out of the water. I still have never seen one and will stick with plain burnt ones.

We had a honeysuckle bush in our backyard in Pittsburgh in the 50s. The blossoms tasted wonderful.

I also remember eating s’mores as a Brownie/Girl Scout during the same time period. I loved them as a kid, but they are way too sweet now. @jcostiones, I’m also happy with a nice burnt marshmallow.
Here’s some s’mores history:

5 Likes

We did that in Queens, NYC back in the day, but minus the hose. I grew one here in California, but a fancy one. I think Fragrant Cloud.

84510A

4 Likes

Great sentence and memory. After weighing in for wrestling tournaments I’d suck on packets of honey and wash it down with spoons of ice water. What a fantastic flavor combination and memory. :+1:

3 Likes

Agreed. Try replacing the Graham cracker and Hershey’s with a Lu Dark (70%) Petit Ecolier cookie (serve open faced). Major upgrade!

I didn’t realize anyone actually planted honeysuckle! They grow wild around here in NJ. I have funny memories of my cousin and I trying to get enough nectar out of the plants to make a cup of it! I love that smell!!!

1 Like

You have to be careful; some are invasive.

1 Like

You can say that again. We have an invasive type growing all over my neighborhood - I am constantly trying to keep it from choking my plants to death.

1 Like

Ironically an older Asian man moved in next door and he planted a vine that all but choked out the honeysuckle.

I loved that guy. I’d mow his yard for a small fee in the blistering Houston heat. He’d bring me out a cold coke and we didn’t know back then but that was one of the worst things to drink in hot weather. It sure tasted good.

3 Likes

Vines can be a bastards.

1 Like

Man, a nice icy coke on a hot day is perfection!!!

Why is that?

It can lead to dehydration.

Foods and Drinks That Can Cause Dehydration - Eat This Not That