Homemade is worse

A lot of fresh pasta also includes eggs or olive oil.

3 Likes

You can make fresh pasta much thinner than dried for lasagna.

I very much like dried pasta for some dishes, just not lasagna.

Exactly… at a minimum my pasta includes eggs, salt, and EVOO, but can also include pureed additions like spinach, sun dried tomato, basil, anchovy, olives, etc. The texture the eggs and EVOO provide, plus those extra flavors make it a no brainer (especially with wider cuts like pappardelle, ravioli, and lasagna).

2 Likes

Yup. They each have their applications. I used to make fresh ravioli. The toothfeel of fresh pasta is completely different from dried - fresh pappardelle or fettuccine are always going to be more fun to eat than their dried cousins.

Dried, stuffed pasta like shelf-stable tortellini kinda make me shudder, TBH.

2 Likes

If you’re going to the trouble of making ravioli at home, why wouldn’t you cook them fresh or frozen? You’d risk poisoning yourself if you tried drying perishable stuffings inside.

The presence of egg proteins and fats in pasta isn’t an argument against dried.

I agree with you in principle but not so much in detail. I’d eat Chef Boy-ar-dee rather than choke down Rao’s or the Hazan recipe.

1 Like

Huh?

4 Likes

I once spent a few months in a remote city in South America. One morning I bought an entire filet from the outdoor market where they would slaughter one cow per day for the whole town. I left it in the kitchen and when I got home in the evening expecting to grill it, I found that the wife of my local friend had minced it by knife and mixed the mince with mustard. Minced beef with mustard was so common there that she had assumed doing so was helping. However, I was planning to cube and grill it into kabobs. I was barely 20 years old and handled the situation poorly by letting my disappointment show, giving them the mustard minced beef with the plan to buy another filet perhaps another day to carry out my original intent. If I had been more mature, we would have shared it with glee and I’d be able to tell you how delicious eating minced filet with mustard is in the Amazon. But instead I remember my bitter annoyance and her surprised remorse.

8 Likes

I don’t see where anybody claimed that the presence of eggs or olive oil are an argument against dried pasta rather than simply pointing out that fresh and dried pasta are made differently since your claim was that they’re the same product. Dried pasta is typically made with durum wheat while fresh is not. Ingredients like eggs in fresh pasta make for a different mouthfeel and texture. I agree with others here about how they’re meant for different applications and I tend to hate when I see people insisting fresh is better just because it’s fresh, but this doesn’t mean fresh pasta doesn’t have its place in the same way that dried pasta does. It’s similar to how short and long pasta shapes are best suited for different sauces, but it doesn’t mean one is better than the other on an absolute basis.

7 Likes

Oh?

I think ScottinPollock did.

Fighting words :rofl:

I haven’t made the Hazan recipe because I’m lazy.

I don’t mind Rao’s or Chef Boyardee. (Rollercoasters or Ravioli over Beefaroni)

I have absolutely no idea what you are asking.

Hazan has 3 ingredients. Where’s the labor?

https://www.thekitchn.com/marcella-hazans-amazing-4ingre-144538

45 minutes
Still more labour than opening up a jar of Marinara, for my purposes.

I guess I sort of do the same thing when I dump a can of tomatoes in the oven with some olive oil and let them roast for 45 minutes, occasionally with onion or garlic added. I guess I could try roasting tomatoes in the oven with butter.

Whoa. What’s your beef with Rao’s? I find it’s pretty much the only marinara (Aldi has a very similar one for less, of course) that’s palatable w/out a million and one additions… which kinda defeats the purpose of jarred sauce.

3 Likes

Interesting. Two of my kids prefer Mids sauces, but to me Mids tastes identical to the sauce in Chef Boyardee.

Too sweet for me; they add loads of sugar. Home made is better.

I beleve my palate has been heavily inluenced by the flavors and tastes of things I grew up with. I prefer homemade red pasta sauce (less acidic), potato, macaroni and cole slaw salads and tartar sauce. I prefer many store bought condiments over the homemade attempts. BUT, things have changed since my brief bout with covid; the ‘covid tongue’ still exists (or it came back in another varient that I haven’t had the vax for). Things just don’t taste the same.

3 Likes

I think you are wrong

The Texture is totally different
Most dried Pasta has no Eggs
The way each catches and holds Sauce is quite different.

3 Likes