Homemade is worse

I like the idea of a thread about mustard on burgers.

I currently prepare my burgers with mayonnaise, onions, pickles, and American cheese.

Mustard is a condiment I enjoy, and a hot dog without AYM, I might decline to eat.

During the pandemic I tried several french mustards and fell in love with them, even eating a spoonful whenever accessing the jar for something else like salad dressing.

1 Like

Mixed into the beef

1 Like

Where does the furikake go?

1 Like

Pasta.

I prefer the taste of dried to scratch made noodles.

2 Likes

The most exquisite dish I’ve ever made is Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese Lasagna. I follow her directions, made the fresh pasta, sauce, etc.

It’s worth the effort.

14 Likes

I love pie, but despite many attempts at making pie crust and having literally taken several cooking classes over the years on that specific subject, I still buy Pet-Ritz pie shells because my pie crust is always terrible. I’m good at bread and pastry. Go figure.

2 Likes

Pie crust…i make excellent pie crust. But Pillsbury roll out crusts are made with lard and are ready to use.

Sushi…again. I can do it, but by the time Im done faffing around Im over it.

Meatloaf. My butcher’s is great.

Ricotta (back when I could)…good but not worth the time and mess and waste

6 Likes

I’ve tried it a couple of times, using yellow and brown mustard seeds. Both times, ended up hotter than I wanted. I still have a couple of jars of Penzeys mustard seeds, so I’ll probably make it one or two more times (usually a honey mustard, similar to Honeycup) but won’t do it again.

1 Like

Not to mention how many different mustards there are, and how many different mustards I like. At any given point, I have at least 3-4 different ones in the house, and I’m mos def not making all of those myself. Nope.

3 Likes

I dried the seed pods, harvested the seeds, which were about the size of poppy seeds, and then pounded them in a mortar and pestle. I think I got about a tablespoon of mustard, and it took me 3+ hours of labor.

5 Likes

Yup, we’ve talked mustards before. I probably have about 7 open jars of mustards, and others in my pie safe pantry. But making it was just a fun little thing I tried. Again - I’ll use these up, but won’t do it again. LOL

Oh HELL NO. :open_mouth: I bought the damn seeds. And I made a “whole grain” type of honey mustard, so no grinding them.

1 Like

Mine kind of ended up that way, but only because I got sick of pounding!

1 Like

Sushi for me, too.

I rather order pizza and burgers, too, as well as fish & chips.

3 Likes

Buddha Jumps Over the Wall

1 Like

I’ve never tried that. I will occasionaly mix in A1 sauce though.

You consider mixing mustard into the beef making for superior flavor?

“Superior” is an interesting word. Different might be better.

Incorporating mustard into the meat adds flavor to the patty as well as helping it to caramelize when you cook it.

I do it if I want a different style of burger, not a better one.

2 Likes

Any dish that requires a wok and high heat cooking. Can’t happen at home on our smooth top electric range.

We’re happy to be regulars at the nearby Sichuan restaurant for exactly this reason.

9 Likes

Zackly. And more variety of dishes I could or would want to whip up for one meal :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you go to that trouble, you must prefer the flavor as well as the browning, yes?

I’ll try grinding in the mustard, but I think it runs counter to my general burger (and BBQ sundae) preference to get small pockets of different flavors in and across different bites. For example, I wouldn’t want to taste dill chips in every single bite, but that taste plays well with the AYM in certain bites.

I’ve reversed engineered some burgers that I score as excellent, and most of those put the mustard on or near the bottom bun. I theorize that this puts some mustard on the tongue in more concentrated form before chewing blends it all.

The reductio of grinding ingredients into burger would be to grind EVERYTHING. Not open to that as long as I have teeth and taste!

I find Sichuan to be one type of Chinese cuisine that doesn’t rely on super high heat as much as Cantonese does. Some dishes, sure, but broad bean paste and chili oil pack so much punch that a dish like twice cooked pork belly tastes as good as what I can get at a restaurant. Not that I can get anything Chinese at a restaurant around here now, though.

3 Likes