Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

If I lived near you I’d probably be your best customer!

2 Likes

Strawberry sherbet, lemon curd, and cheesecake pieces.

This is probably my favorite strawberry ice cream yet. Really it’s more like a low fat ice cream than sherbet because I added a bunch of milk solids.
I tore down Dana Cree’s formula which was crazy high in sugar. I knew with strawberry in there I’d need to have more sugar, but I wasn’t sure how much. So I started with a formula that left me at around 15%. Upon tasting it I realized it just wasn’t sweet enough, so added to taste. I ended up adding about 50 grams more. In the end somewhere around 18% relative sweetness and somewhat higher than that in sugar was just right.

I used a bit of extra locust bean gum for this one to prevent ice crystal formation so instead of .8 g I used 1 gram.

This ice cream has a high PAC, so it’s scoopable straight from the freezer.
The add-ins are really delicious, but I think I need to use a cheesecake with mostly cream cheese and only a little dairy like a NY cheesecake, as I think it might freeze softer than this one. This one contains a fairly high amount of sour cream. Perhaps a bit more sugar, too, though I’m perfectly satisfied with the sweetness here. I might use Dana Cree’s recipe next time.
For the cheesecake I made a tiny 4-inch cheesecake with 4 oz of cream cheese and a single yolk.

3 Likes

I tried out Jeni Britton Bauer’s milkiest chocolate ice cream to use up some leftover sacher sponge cake I had in the freezer. I also decided to try out Dana Cree’s peanut butter ripple.

I don’t care for plain dark chocolate ice cream and never have, though a couple of times in my life I’ve come upon one I enjoyed. I rather like milk chocolate ice cream, particularly milk chocolate and Guinness stout ice cream, but finding stout here hasn’t happened. And well, I appreciated that this ice cream uses cocoa powder, which I have plenty of, and only a little chocolate.
I mostly left it the same except substituting some dextrose for sucrose to make the ice cream softer, and doubling the salt. Note that this recipe should call for 1.25 cups of cream, not 1/4 cup.

Ice cream is fine, but without the bits of sacher sponge to add interest I wouldn’t want to eat it. :joy:

As for the ripple, it calls for coconut oil, for which I used refined. The thing is I’ve never managed to come upon a refined coconut oil that still didn’t taste like coconut to me, in spite of all the claims to the contrary from everyone, and here it was alarmingly noticeable to me. I froze a little of the ripple to see if once frozen it would fade, and it did, but I still tasted coconut and also just found it kind of unpleasant. Incorporated into the chocolate ice cream it tasted like peanut butter and improved the ice cream. I’d be concerned about using this ripple with a milder flavor like vanilla because I’m not sure the coconut flavor wouldn’t come through.

I have cocoa butter and I wonder if I shouldn’t try using it instead of coconut oil in something like this. The melting point is higher for cocoa butter, but I’ve seen people use it for chocolate shell instead of coconut oil, so I think it would be fine in terms of dissolving once eaten.

1 Like

Just got my first today. I love pistachio ice cream. This is fabulous.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look for that. Is it closer to buttery, fairly subtle Haagen Daaz or more akin to traditional almondy-pistachio ice cream in vibrant artificial green? (I actually like the latter :laughing:)

It has salt. Not vibrant green at all; no big pistachio pieces either.

1 Like

Just dipped into some lemon verbena ice cream I made on 10.26. It was stored in a thick plastic Rubbermaid container with parchment paper pressed onto the surface of the ice cream. To my taste, you can’t tell it’s four months old.

Nice to have a little remembrance of summer :slight_smile:

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

7 Likes

Is that the lemon verbena?

1 Like

Yes ma’am!

1 Like

Not homemade but holy COW are these good.

3 Likes

I want to make blood orange sorbet for the first time. Husband was gifted these.

I’m hoping for smooth, not too hard consistency, and intense flavor.
Considering these recipes,

…and like that they are simple, but saw one describing different forms of sugar (corn syrup, agave) make it softer or smoother.

Also, any thoughts about sherbert instead? Any other tips?

2 Likes

This is my favorite tangerine sorbet, he mentions other citrus in his newsletter as well. I’ve made it innumerable times with success.

3 Likes

Thank you! I think that’s the one I was looking for!

1 Like

So, I was wise not to purchase them :smile:

Yes. Very wise. They are insanely good, both flavors.

1 Like

My PIC makes a lovely biscoff ice cream, usually in the winter time. Only when we have guests, of course :wink:

1 Like

I got some great information from the newsletter, but my 14 oranges made only 1.5 cups juice, and I didn’t want to use alcohol, so I kept searching.

I wanted to use a bit of rind, and the segments that didn’t end up in the juice, so I referenced the NYT recipe.

I put the zest from all 14 with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water. I put pulp with 144 cup sugar.

I plan to use the corn syrup sub in the Leibowitz recipe, and I’m also considering adding some non blood orange juice from other oranges we have, because I am using a KitchenAid mixer insert, and figure it needs a minimum of juice to work properly.

Here are the other oranges I have, but don’t want to ruin the experience of a blood orange sorbet. One of the oranges, one with a pointy tip was bland, but the rest were quite tasty, or at least sweet. I suspect they are mostly Navel oranges.

Thinking :thinking:

I make that recipe with only 2 cups juice, scaling everything else down.
I don’t use any corn syrup or Lyles as the alcohol keeps it soft enough. I sometimes add a pinch of citric acid. I substitute 1T Pastis for the gin.

. Lyles golden syrup is a nice sub for corn syrup.

1 Like