Homemade chili oil

What kind of oil do you like to use in your recipe?

I use a combo of expeller-pressed Rapeseed Oil(Canola) and Mustard Seed Oil (Indian Markets)

1 Like

Those are not my Photos.
There is no Sesame or Peanuts in the Chili Mix in the Photo.
They do illustrate the idea well though

2 Likes

A new batch of “salsa machita”.

Have gone through half the chillies brought back from Mexico. Looks like I can’t make it back for the coming whale watching season (Feb & March) so they’ll have to last for a while.

4 Likes

Just done, is still warm. It’s dark now but I managed to snap a couple of photos of the pots on the windowsill. My last 2 clean pots. Phew. Should have checked before making a new batch.

My own “Lao Gan Ma”

In the small plastic bottle is last of super concentrated Sichuan peppercorn oil which also went into this. I like adding chicken powder rather than simple salt. The dried shiitake and dried shrimps provide much of the umami taste anyway. Heaving-facing chillies and Sichuan peppercorns I sent home from Chengdu in 2006 are still potent. Note that back in 2006 we were still in the dark ages of the food scene where I live. I sent a lot of food stuffs home from my (China) travels.

5 Likes

I made a new batch of chili oil today, used this recipe:

4 Likes

Looks amazing. I really like the sound of that mix of fragrant hot ground chilies. I’m going to try not to get hung up on that particular blend, and figure out how to use up some of the dried chilis I have.

I’ll be interested to hear how you use it, and how long you think its “good”.

1 Like

Thanks! As far as using chili oil, there’s a lot of things to use it on - noodle soups, dandanmian, sauce or dips for dumplings, etc. My last batch was made in April of last year so I guess it lasted about 10 months. I think it lasts for quite awhile especially refrigerated.