Home kitchen knife safety--best practices

I spent almost six years as a professor of safety in a systems degree Master’s program–and learned, over and over, that catastrophic extremely rare events happen all the time.

I live in SOCAL, where we never doubt the possibility of a big earthquake–hopefully not in our lifetime.

Hi RD,

I’m stropping away with that green compound on my hard steel knives for breaks from my computer work all the time . . .

Hi Vecchiouomo,

Like 30 years ago, my $10 Sir Lawrence carbon steel butcher knife, and my gifted from Japan Kai nakiri can do it all–but I have so much more fun with my current batterie–learning about cultural fusion–and I’m lots safer.

Imho you’re overthinking this (as well as making assumptions regarding my routine). How important is it that a knife is within reach? I’d rather someone store a knife safely needing 15 seconds extra to get it, then it being grabbable. Also why should one hone every time? Often I just continue using a somewhat dull knife until I really need to sharpen it (I don’t find sharpening a pleasant way to spend time).

I do have a separate board for meat, a poly one that is dishwasher proof.

It’s the other way around. One picks a knife for the task ahead, and then the knife and task dictate the grip.

4 Likes

Hi damiano,

To me, grabbability means one has completed knife prep and is ready for vegetables and meat prep.

I have medium large hands, and I’ve purchased knives that allow those hands to move freely: back for power–and forward for control (even unto the blade itself across the half bolster). Dr. H has smaller hands, and he grabs just before the bolster–never on the blade. I think it’s mostly cultural, but, unlike me, he doesn’t move his hand much up or down the handle.

With practice, each of us learns each knife.

IMO, we’re all different.

European knives, like my Wusthof have belly–perfect for rock chopping–but nicely tapered to function as choppers near the handle, and push cutters near the tip.

The Wusthof Classic Ikon was my first Chef’s knife–and I’m still finding new ways to enjoy it.

Japanese knives, like my nakiri, have almost no belly, great for push strokes. I’m learning all about that from Dr. H–my collaborator.

My American tendencies are all vertical chop oriented. That’s the dimension I was missing until I got my cleavers.

I get home much earlier but still, after a long day at work, sometimes I don’t have the mental energy to prepare an entire meal from start to finish. That’s why I like to do a lot of prep on Sunday–makes week night meals faster and far more enjoyable.

1 Like

Hi damiano,

I’ve made the steel hone available on the spot so it can be used–or not used–any time. A quick hone is a quick fix that works.

The soft steel knives take up too much time for green stropping without being honed once in awhile–and the honing time is very brief.

1 Like

Although my knives are convenient, this idea of the essentiality of being able to grab knives and steels seems excessive to me. If you have properly planned a meal, you start work with your knife already out and sharp. If you are doing very fine prep work like fluting mushrooms or slicing truffles you may need two knives. By the time everything is in its cooking vessels, the knife work is done except for slicing proteins for plating. If the knife is sharp when you start and you need to hone it mid-task, I am at a loss as to why. Lots of snazzy kitchens keep knives in one of those blocks that sits in a drawer.

3 Likes

Frees up precious counter space. Especially in tiny, not so snazzy home kitchens like mine.

2 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I don’t do blocks anymore–remember. I’ve posted the pictures.

Having an on the spot hone to tune soft metal takes no more than a minute, and makes them eligible for my green stropping. Otherwise, I’d be tempted to retire them altogether.

I still want to keep my Wusthof Classic Ikon around.

I did not say you used blocks.

1 Like

Hi Vecchiouomo,

Just clarifying my counter space friendly approach.

Hi blondanonima,

Chef Panko tries very hard to support the claw concept and still allow everyone to personalize–and still stay safe. I have a Japanese collaborator that helps me do reviews of new knives I buy, and we’re like mutt and Jeff: I tend to move my grip around the balance point–he holds firm. I like to chop–he push cuts. But we both stay safe:

Yet, why were you so harsh on Chef Marco for putting an index finger on the knife spine? You said Chef Marco was unsafe and don’t know where he learned to hold a knife like he did

For kitchen knife safety, it is more important to use a claw hand for the guide hand, than to use the pinch grip for the knife hand.

1 Like

Could be a 9-shot thread.

4 Likes

Agreed, the only times I have ever cut myself while chopping/slicing it has been because I wasn’t paying attention to my claw. Knife grip completely irrelevant (though I almost always use a standard pinch grip).

2 Likes

Agreed too. Same here. Chefs often demonstrate fast cutting without looking. It is relying on the knife resting on the claw hand and let the claw hand (usually knuckles) to guide the knife motion. Highly encourage for people into knife safety. It is worth getting good at and then decide when to not apply.

The movie Chef has a beautiful scene showing this:
https://youtu.be/0d5mhzUV418?t=31
Hiroyuki Terada

3 Likes

I’m a Sunday cook. I make 3-4 meals when I’m off. Glad the boy’s home for the summer. Let’s me cook like family. You get wore out during the week. Nice to have options. So many things are better (IMHO) after two days in the fridge. I love chicken enchiladas after a day or two of cooling. Little of that with some beans and rice in a glass nukeable container, and that’s my school lunch.

4 Likes

BTW, next time you are exhausted and need to make dinner, stacked enchiladas take about two minutes if you have a can of sauce (I like Hatch green), cheese of your choice (Velveeta is actually delicious here), and corn tortillas. Pour a little sauce in a baking dish, cover it with tortillas, a little more sauce, cheese, and so. Putting chunked up leftover pork roasts or chickens thighs is optional but delicious. Putting beans, squash, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. in is also tasty. Heat at 350 until melted. A fried egg on top is optional. It is so much easier than rolling the enchiladas.

2 Likes

All in the claw.

Had to sub an ag. foods class for a while. Canning/pickling unit. Pickled onions? Claw. Cucumbers? Claw. They really took to it. No dings, that day, nor any subsequent. It’s really about position. Steady grasp, sturdy base.

This is why, when kids start, it’s best they halve them; cucumber or onion. Carrots, too. Have that solid base, and a sure grip. Not a tight grip, a sure grip.

I get burnt more than cut, though. Like an art for me. Going for that welder look.

7 Likes