Home Fermentation

I tend to err on the ocd side of things. So I usually blanch my lemons briefly to 1) make the skin extra clean and 2) generate more juice. Not sure if it helps prevent issues but I figure it can’t hurt!

I make an older Paula Wolfert 21 day lemon which has spices in addition to the salt and lemon juice. Once the 21 days are up I store them in the fridge. I’ve had some last 3 years with no issues or degradation of flavor/texture.

3 Likes

Well since that initial post i have made many delicious batches of white kimchi and am consistently happy with my kombucha.

My new NOMA fermentation book kicked me into fermenting veggies, vs pickling them. I’m following their fermenting plums “template” recipe for technique and method.
Started simple, a batch of fermented carrots with my sister in CA (with peppercorns and a smashed garlic clove) which she reported has little bubbles and seems happy enough so far

I started fermenting some radishes and green beans in nyc this past weekend, also following thr NOMA template recipe. I added dry dill and black peppercorns to the radishes after the photo, and some fennel seeds to one jar of the green beans and a mix of black peppercorns and some un ground trader joes everything seasoning in the other.
I think it will take a while since my nyc apt is chilly (prob high 50s when I’m out of town and all heat is off)

I was really excited to try making my own vinegar until i really read the recipe closely and realized I’m shy basically all of the needed equipment and have to order the special yeast on amazon.
Hmmmmm.
I need to keep reading more of the vinegar part this weekend to see if there are other easier “beginner” type recipes, the book is too heavy to travel with

2 Likes

making vinegar doesn’t require any special equipment. Just a container, a cloth to cover it like a bandana, and wine or beer. Wild ferments are in the air, or pick up some Braggs cider vinegar which has live mother in it. The local mother from the air is usually great.

just aerate the wine or beer, water it down wine 1:1 to start, easier to start that way. Add some braggs vinegar, stir. cover with cloth and tie on with rubber band or string. It needs air. Put away in a dark, cool 60-70F area. Leave alone for a few months.

2 Likes

mq is right - it’s not complicated. You can buy the mother fairly cheaply. Most places that have wine or beer making supplies have it. There are different mothers for red or white wine, beer or cider. It just takes a lot of ageing to get something really good.

1 Like

Awesome!!
Thank you! I didn’t think so and was surprised it became complicated…
the NOMA book recommends to use a liquid saison yeast, and from my googling many home brewers using yeast for a saison style ale like this premier blanc yeast- is it better flavor or more interesting to use yeast…?? If so i have no problem to order some, but not sure if that would be in place of or in addition to Braggs (which i always have on hand anyhow)
Thanks for your help here! I’m excited now!! Would i add fruit at this beginning stage as well to make something like a pomegranate or pear vinegar?

Thanks! I’m so glad to know it is not so complicated and excited to give it a go!

google chowhound, vinegar making, lots of indepth info. I think add JMF to the search, he posted a ton of stuff.

1 Like

Eagar to see how your experiments go. Personally, I’m interested in making all types of vinegar. Seldom we came across very good vinegars even from shops in a moderate price. We love a certain lemon vinegar and have been buying for years, but only one producer is making it really well and the scarcity of the product makes me think maybe it’s time to make it ourselves one day! There are some interesting Japanese yuzu vinegar around but the price and the size of the bottle!?!

I received the Noma book ordered from Amazon, it was bumped and torned up with the transport in a thin bubbled bag (!), I will return it to get another one (or if I can find it in a shop here or a more practical e-book version). I start to read it and indeed, a very interesting book. Thanks for the recommendations.

2 Likes

I will, thanks again for all your help!

They do an excellent job of describing the process as well as ways to use the recipes.
I just checked on my fermenting veggies tonight when i got home, they are happy and making little bubbles! Tasted some and radishes are very good, could use a few more days. The green beans need more time but have a nice flavor so far

5 Likes

I just read an article on fermenting Blueberries. I’m eager to try it.

1 Like

I have some blueberries naturally fermenting in my refrigerator right now

1 Like

LOL, me I have grapes. Anyway overripe fruit taste better than not ripe. But there is a thin line between eatable and rotten though.

2 Likes

I have been wanting a more savory option to kombucha, and came across recipes for beet kvass! Why not?? Apparently it’s often made with whey- which is a big no go for my tummy- but I found a version without whey and then added in a few additional flavor.
This batch has beets, a ripe pear, ginger, salt, and some fennel seeds. Apparently will take a few weeks to be “done”, but i’ll get bonus of fermented beets snack too :))
Of course i ended up with pink fingers despite my efforts otherwise.

6 Likes

I’ll be interested to hear how it turns out.

me too.

In beet kvass the whey used as the starter for the lacto-ferment. Only a small amount would be used.

I read a bunch of recipes last night. Various starters used included kefir starter, yogurt, rye or sourdough bread and kvass from previous makings…

I think most of those are starters for regular kvass, not beet kvass.

1 Like

I also read a lot of recipes, i followed this one and it seems a vegan kvass just takes longer time to ferment. I was a bit worried about no starter and added a splash of brine from the white kimchi (purchased) so hopefully that helps it along too…?

1 Like