Holiday Treats 2022

Fruitcakes this weekend ! I love giving these away to folks who will appreciate (generally my mother’s generation.)

5 Likes

I think I’ll make this
https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/emily-dickinsons-black-cake/9745/

6 Likes

For some reason that recipe is ringing a bell… .maybe someone on CH made it…?

1 Like

It’s finally here!!!

10 Likes

I just put it on hold at the library!

2 Likes

Rose knows!

1 Like

Have to admit I’ve never been a fan of fruitcakes though I think my granny & mom made a decent version of dark fruit cakes. At least mom brushed hers generously in Grand Marnier. With a slice of cheddar it wasn’t bad. Still, have never felt inclined to make any! However, my SIL sends us a mini white fruitcake that I love! It’s so imbued with alcohol I’m sure a slice is like drinking a cocktail!! No one else even likes it, so I get it to myself, but it is small. Anyway, I might be motivated to make this version of fruitcake, but guess I better get started!

4 Likes

Has anyone here made panforte?

I’m going to give it a go this week – a chocolate version, first – and have narrowed it down to several recipes. I’ve read a lot of reviews, but still a bit mystified by the signs that will tell me when it is baked sufficiently (but not over-baked). The top is supposed to be dry, but the “cake” will not be set. Any advice or tips appreciated!

3 Likes

Yes, some years back I made the Epicurious chocolate-hazelnut one you’ve linked, and it was excellent (and very appreciated by folks I gave it to). I followed the recipe, except for using dried cherries in place of candied citron, which worked very well, flavor-wise, and baking it in several 4-inch disposable pans instead of in two 8-inch pans. I don’t think I had any issues with baking it, just kept a close eye on it while following the cues in the recipe.

3 Likes

That’s reassuring - thank you! I was leaning towards that Epicurious recipe. I have a lot of fruit from which to choose, including dried figs, glazed lemon peel, glazed orange peel and sour cherries (among others). I’m looking forward to making this.

2 Likes

Panforte!

Deets on the baking thread.

12 Likes

wowza! i’m not entirely sure but i think it’s possible i have never eaten this!

1 Like

I hadn’t tried it until last year, either. Bought a few types on a whim for a holiday treat. The white version was nice, but the chocolate one I tried was out of this world! I vowed then and there to learn how to make it.

3 Likes

Which cookies do you guys like receiving most at a cookie exchange?

These are the ones I can remember making:

Kourabiedes
Hello Dollies
Turtle squares
Snickerdoodles
Melomakarona/ Phoenikia
Cherry pistachio icebox cookies
Grasshopper (mint ) brownies
Raspberry hazelnut thumbprints
Lemon squares
Salted almond dark chocolate Nanaimo bars
Whipped shortbread
Coconut cookies
Brown butter cookies with brown butter icing
Mini Stollen

Some photos from cookie exchanges I’ve participated in.
2021( Non-Chowhound ski club friends)

Cookie exchanges with Toronto Chowhounds and eGulleters, from around 2012-2016:

My last batch of phoenikia:

13 Likes

Hard to pick favorites!

3 Likes

My most favorite cookie has to be Mexican Wedding Cookies - also known by other names - other than those, I prefer good cheese to sugar.

5 Likes

The kourabiede is the Greek equivalent to Mexican wedding cake/ Russian tea cake/ Kipferl / snowball. :slightly_smiling_face:
I made a recipe last year where the butter is browned first, which added a little more flavour.

3 Likes

I’ll give you my address and send you postage

7 Likes

My favorite recipe for that is ATK. They instruct to roll in powered sugar after they are cool, not warm. I always use pecans. Hard to beat, meaning, they are really superior cookies.

3 Likes

That’s one of the very few cookie recipes I make repeatedly. I’m not a big cookie baker, but that one is a keeper. Known at our house as a Russian Tea Cake (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

4 Likes