HOdown Sat June 10th 3pm at Shanghai Bun , Matawan - RSVP here

Wowzers! Nice feast! So who tanked the entire bottle of sriracha? Lol :smile:

What was everyone’s favorite?

2 Likes

Miscellaneous comments:

It was a mistake to order that many soup dumplings all at once. (And probably three orders would have been enough.) By the time we got to the last batch, it was next to impossible to lift them without breaking the skin.

The Noodles with Hot Peanut Sauce were very good, but Mark said his favorite dish was Pork in Bean Paste Sauce Noodles.

The Shanghai Rice Cakes were popular, but I personally wasn’t keen on the texture.

I loved the Pork with String Beans–but I always do. The Fish Filets with Spicy Bean Sauce were also good.

The Yu Shiang Beef seemed to be popular, and people raved about the Tomato with Egg, but I didn’t have either of them. (Too many dishes, too little time…)

The Cumin Lamb was much more intense than the last time I got it; you have to really like a lot of cumin for this.

The Salt & Pepper Shrimp were a disappointment–they were more battered than “salt & pepper”.

Mine too. I rank them as one of my top three dishes in Monmouth County.

1 Like

I have to agree about the dumplings - sometimes too much of a good thing is too much.

The Cumin Lamb was a bit more cuminy than I remembered. I don’t recall it having quite so many whole cumin seeds. I love them but they sometimes can give an overwhelming burst of cumin flavor which not everyone enjoys.

Missy

Hello Friends!! So sorry I was out of town and unable to share in the festivities, looks like fun and dumplings were had by all!! Glad you enjoyed…see you soon.

Regards,
Bob

1 Like

Sorry I’m late to the reporting party–been non-stop since I left you all!

I have to agree with Mark; if I had to choose one noodle over the other, the Pork in Bean Paste wins. But damn if I didn’t love the peanut sauce too! :grin:

The tomato and egg (permanently on the specials board, according to the @BossaNova s was a revelation. Not something I’ve ever seen before, and had I seen it on a menu I would have passed it by, but those eggs were scramblepoached (I just invented a new cooking term!) beautifully in the sauce. HIGHLY recommended.

Thanks to @joonjoon for insisting we try the ‘beef sandwiches,’ which, while decidedly NOT banh mi were just reminiscent enough to make me happy. He recommended the fish, too–also at the top of my list for the day.

As for the cumin lamb, I can’t lie–I loved it. I loved it right down to the small amount of leftovers (95% onion) that I took home, and mixed with a couple of bites of the beef (which I found a bit too sweet for my taste) , I was reminded of how much I love that dish almost every time I have it. This was a ‘wetter’ version than I’m used to at Szechuan restaurants, but NO complaints from me!

It’s always fun to get together with HOs; we eat too much and talk non-stop about food and it’s a lovely way to share a meal. For those of you who are lurking and thinking you’d like to come to one of these, I really do encourage you to jump on board as soon as we post the next one! SOON.

3 Likes