HODown at The Old Bukhara, Freehold

I remember seeing on their website that they cook over charcoal. It’s definitely worth trying. They’re open for lunch too. I’m 10 minutes away (as is @seal) so let us know if you’re planning to go.

2 Likes

Thanks, @CurlzNJ, for the helpful description. Turns out I’d neglected to upload the photo to my Flickr. It’s now in the set with the correct labeling.

1 Like

Well my dilemma is this place or aarzu. I’m not sure which to try first :slight_smile: I think either way will be fun. I will try to get out there soon. Also, if you guys are over here, Bombay river opened in red bank. I am game to try that if anyone is up for it. The menu is now up and they opened last night…literally.

@CoachDonna were those lamb short ribs? I’ve never tried those (at least that I can think of)

Obviously, I’m not @CoachDonna, but yes they were.

Nice…I always have ribs, chops or shank. I don’t think I’ve had lamb short rib. I think that means I will need to get over there :wink:

I’ve never had them before. And they were small. But incredibly juicy and delicious.

1 Like

The lamb short ribs reminded me of tiny flanken style or Korean style short ribs, cut into individual pieces. I remember back in the day my mother making lamb chops with flat, square bones forming one side. I have no idea what cut they were. They were kosher and maybe something not generally available.

The Qozon kebab reminded me of oxtail on steroids. They had a center bone that look very vertebral. I did not find them highly seasoned. They braised until tender but with still a little bit of chew in them.

As good as all the food was, meeting folks I already felt like I knew was the best part of the meal.

3 Likes

I too really enjoyed those tiny lamb short ribs. Each and every item was really tasty and a new flavor for me. But like MsBean says, it was meeting people in person that really put the meal over the top for me!

2 Likes

Glad to see everyone had a great time, my apologies for not being able to make it. Saturday was my fathers birthday and at 84 it’s not something I can miss or want to reschedule.

1 Like

Nice meal…glad to see it worked out. The food looks great (thanks for the pictures Roz). If any of you are ever in Brooklyn & want more of Uzbek cooking, I highly recommend checking out Nargis. The original on Ave Z/Coney Is. Ave has an extensive menu, but the newer one in Park Slope is great as well. And, if you need company, well, we’re always hungry.

@SteveR, So nice to see you here! It’s my pleasure to provide photos.