HO technical roadmap, finance, software upgrade, and the next few weeks

Happened to me yesterday too, and I clear my history and data pretty much daily

@hungryonion

1 Like

Roughly what time did you run into the 502s? How often did it appear?

I myself had randomly ran into 502s in the past months. Usually it didn’t really happen often. There are two possibilities, if it happens all the time after the upgrade, it means the upgrade has failed. If it happens sometimes, usually its because during busy times the server ran out of CPU/ memory. But we have plenty of CPU / memory right now so I am stumped why we see that.

We’ll have to monitor it to see how problematic this is. It is pretty hard to diagnose without a log. Next time if you see the 502, can you note the exact time?

I think I may have found the source. I installed a server resource monitor to monitor CPU/ memory. That monitor itself ironically seems to have taken up a lot of the CPU/ memory. So I will remove it tonight.

EDIT: this is done already. I corrected myself- the monitor didn’t take up much CPU/ memory. So the impact is minimal. So back to the initial investigation.

7 Likes

Thx for all the work you do!

3 Likes

A consultant who’s an expert with deploying this forum software says one of our settings may be set on the high side post-server migration, so we are going it dial it back down tonight.

5 Likes

It happened at 6:05 AM Japan time on February 14th. It hasn’t happened today…yet.

6:16PM EST. Like, right now.

1 Like

That’s like when you open task nanager and it says

• Not Responding

And you’re left thinking, “Dangit, you were supposed to corral them, not join them!”

3 Likes

A new fun thing that randomly appears.

3 Likes

I get this on consistently if I have a second HO window open, like when I’m looking for something I pasted in a prior thread to use in a new reply. I don’t think I’ve seen it other than in that instance. I tend to hit ignore first, then copy the existing draft text before hitting reload, just so something doesn’t get lost.

I had to step away from my computer, and HO decided to log me out after not being on the page for maybe 5 minutes. Happened somewhere between 3:00 p.m. and 3:12 p.m., EST.

We’ll have to keep an eye out for that one. It shouldn’t happen.

1 Like

I ALWAYS get that when someone else is in the midst of adding a post to the same thread I’m adding to. It’s rather frustrating, but I’ve learned that at least for me, all I can do is just wait until the other person has finished with their post and continue. I’m not a fan of saving drafts, so I just copy what I’ve written, delete what I was going to post in that thread and come back to start again.

2 Likes

You can go to a different thread while replying to another. Although that might actually be what has been triggering this alert :thinking:

Just got this while trying to upload 2 pics to the WFD thread. The 2nd pic “took”, I had to re-upload the 1st pic.

2 Likes

That problem has been around for years as I have seen it myself occasionally. I am not sure what caused that. Could just be a software bug.

1 Like

Any 502s today? I have been paying attention to server metrics and they look good. So hopefully no 502s.

None for me so far…for the first time in a few days!

None today (since your question posted) for me, either. I had it happen quite a lot a few days ago.

No 502s.

But the incessant logging out and jumping up within threads persists.

1 Like