HO Lunch February 12:Xing Ming Flushing

I am in.

thanks for the heads up! My general rule when dealing with NYC construction is weeks become months, months become years. But what to do about a weekend? six months seems about right…

Anyhow, the article’s headline is a little misleading, service will be shutdown btw hudson yards and queensborough plaza so from the UES we should be able to take the F to 74h st and broadway and change there for the 7.

best,

1 Like

Good to know. Of course, we are walking to Ming Xing.

Just to recap

Dave Cook
Vinuous pleasures x2
Dean & kay x2
Penelope Witherspoon

Question: @Saregama i seemed to miss if you are in or out

Other maybes, let me know if you are in. Right now we are at one charcoal table.

Timing… does 1pm make sense to give time for some XLB pregame?

XLB pregame… NYFC and New World Mall both have xlb stands. You Shanghai and N0an Xiang will be ugly mobbed. Kung Fu is a hike.

I’m in @Dean - thanks for checking.

Also @ninkat, from her comments elsewhere.

1pm sounds great.

I had the xlb at new world when I went back (same place as the crispy rice cakes) and they were fine not superlative, which is also what I thought of Shanghai you garden a few years ago (the former have thinner skins, the latter more flavorful filling).

Tbh I’d be equally happy pre-gaming by walking over from the 7 train via White Bear and Followsoshi (aka Dim sum garden takeout outpost) for a few bites of assorted tasty dumplings before bbq!

Maxi’s is another thought, though I’ll likely stop by for frozen wontons on the way home anyway (ditto DSG frozen siu mai).

I was also thinking about white bear, Followsoshi sounds like a great add-on! another place to consider is sifu chio, I recall charles wu ate at around 80 hong kong wonton joints and declared sifu chio as good as the best of hong kong. We went once pre-pandimic and thought it very good. it closed (I think( but seems to be open again.

best,

So, we shoulld meet at the 7 train at noon?

I plan to join for pre-MX walking but little if any pre-MX eating. Even so, if a half-dozen or so of us will visit two-three-four snack stops before lunch, perhaps we’d do better to meet at 11:30 and figure on lunch closer to 1:30.

Or we could just push back our arrival at Ming Xing to whenever we’re done snacking, provided that we don’t need a reservation. On a Sunday afternoon, however, if reservations are taken, I think it’s better that we have one.

@vinouspleasure Happy to check out Sifu Chio if you think we can do it en route, or does it deserve / need its own excursion given the extensive menu?

@Dean noon at the 7 Station (or a specific corner given the multiple entrances) sounds like a good start.

We should also allow the possibility of winter weather messing with our best laid wandering plans, so maybe we can finalize a couple of days prior when the forecast is more likely to be in the right vicinity.

dave suggested we meet at 11:30 and move lunch to 1:30 so we have more time to move about the cabin. I’m fine with this or happy to constrain pre-xinging to one spot.

what say thee?

best,
ps let’s sifu another time, I think it’s too similar to white bear.

I was tentatively not coming to this event, and now I am definitely not coming, because the Bills are not in the Stupid Bowl. Thus, H will not be scraping together $50K or whatever it costs to go to the game, and we will instead be having people over to gather 'round the teevee and eat Cheetos and watch commercials. Well, that’s what I’ll be doing. Other people may be paying attention to the game.

1 Like

What’s that 50k going to now? :joy:

If all we’re doing is having a bite at Followsoshi / Dim Sum Garden takeaway (and/or White Bear), I don’t think we need 2 hours.

Maybe those who want the extra bites meet at 11:30 outside the 7 station, and everyone else meet at 12:30 at Ming Xing (vs noon)?

That way we are not far off the original timeline, and there’s still Super Bowl Sunday stuff possible for people who have that in their plan.

@vinouspleasure @DaveCook @Dean @ninkat @PenelopeWitherspoon

Also reminding @escaped @RSchwim

Thanks again for the reminder. Unfortunately I’ll still be out of town that day…

Good question! Deciding between George Santos’ reelection campaign/defense fund, a self-cleaning litterbox, or drinks at Overstory.

2 Likes

You too can be a patriotic supporter of the inventor of jazz, the victorious commanding general of the Confederacy and, for now, George Santos.

Just tell him the check is in the mail.

1 Like

I am still in. 11:30 outside which 7 station?

I love Overstory. Just FYI.

I’m sure would love it, too, if someone else were paying.