HO Dinner, February 11, Zaab Zaab, Williamsburg

Thanks for the clarification, @DaveCook! I actually had this all correct in my calendar. However, if lunch is being moved to later in the afternoon on Sunday (not noon anymore, unless just for the walking part), I may be better off at dinner on Saturday. Fairly sure I will still make only one of these. Wishing I could eat both, but…

(That’s for you @small_h.)

Haven’t changed the reservation yet, so no worries. We’ll see how this shakes out.

I meant the ellipsis was for you. :wink:

Oh, ha! Actually I think yours is one of the acceptable uses.

1 Like

One yearns to be acceptable.

we need a dislike button…

i was thinking maybe I wasn’t clear, a dislike button as we won’t have the pleasure of your company at xing…

Ha ha. Just saw this. Thinking a “dislike” button could be useful in all kinds of situations. :roll_eyes:

Good morning @Dean (+1), @JenKalb (+1) @DaveCook, @PenelopeWitherspoon!

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow, 2/11, 6pm at Zaab Zaab, 208 Grand St in Brooklyn. Here’s more info on the restaurant, but don’t bother clicking on the Menu button, because it doesn’t work (at least for me).

1 Like

Good morning @small_h! I’ll see you Saturday at 6:00.

1 Like

Confirming our attendance

Confirming my receipt of your confirmation!

See you all then!

1 Like

Confirming that I am now fully aware of your confirmations and am confirming that I will not be there, even though the weather service is confirming that it’ll be raining where I am in Florida. Eat good. See you in March.

I will be there.

1 Like

Well I will kick off discussion of our meal at Zaab Zaab. Id have to say that given the acclaim for the Elmhurst location I was hoping to be blown away by this meal but I wasnt - only a few dishes really were above the good average level. The larbs were the best, with the catfish larb being the standout - the duck larb was generous and the duck flavors were good but I felt the cook had held back in the seasoning - where were the chunks of charred galangal, the dark funky sauce? The two som tams were pretty much the same except for the garnishes, the crab curry was nice…the crying tiger had a bitter off flavor in the sauce/marinade … the mushroom hor mok from the vegan menu had a nice mellow flavor and texture but not much going on - the one oyster I sampled was good. The place is slammed with rather pricy drinks on offer and my overall feel was that they werent trying as hard to present their full on cuisine in this location. the company was great as always, but will head for Elmhurst next time.

4 Likes

I really liked the crab curry. It and the Catfish Larb were my favorites. It is in Williamsburg, so this location seems to be a bit more sceney given the location.

I also felt the spicing was too restrained overall (we might’ve forgotten to specify “isan spicy”), and the things I was really enamored of were not whole dishes but parts thereof - the oyster in the som tum talay, the raw shrimp, the crab curry sauce, the cha-om omelet in the nam prik pla too, the salted egg. Still, a nice, solid meal overall, and I felt I had a successful tour of the menu, hitting everything I wanted to try.

2 Likes

I agree totally. This showed the kitchen to be able to generate great flavors. Unfortunately in the rushed parade of dishes, some really showed carelessness, like the som tums where the chiles were left way too big pieces. Most of the dish was not spicy at all and then you could get half a super hot chile.

I would go to their other location in a future trip back. But first I want to try Hug Essan.

Zaab Zaab has opened a branch in Essex Market, which is nice for me. Although it looks like a pretty scaled-down menu.