High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America 4 episodes from Netflix starting May 26

It is easier here, where I have some time to edit, then it is in real life!

1 Like
1 Like

Ah. Much of my life in support of military clients and in intelligence clearly had an affect (or effect–I often reverse those sigh). I’m certainly familiar with the usage of versus but I usually think of that word as having an adversarial overtone as in ‘Team A versus Team B’ as opposed to the replacement or alternative use of ‘vice.’

1 Like

Found this:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-black-movies-21st-century/

1 Like

I knew this was coming.

1 Like

You contradicted yourself. Did or did not Africans bring rice to the United States or did East Indians & Chinese stop by and drop it off first?

This

1 Like

This. It’s why I rarely indulge in threads outside of WFD (and why I stopped reading this one half way thru). It puts me in a much different mood than reading WFD.

Here’s my non-professional, less pedantic review of the series.

I watched all episodes of High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America. It was beautiful.

Being of African-Creole descent and watching the horrors of the Black experience thru the lens of the nightly news, this series was a vacation for my soul, a mini jubilee.

We should not ignore the struggles that still exist. But we don’t celebrate the African-American experience enough - the resilience, accomplishments, ingenuity, culture, art and yes food - attributes that have contributed to every aspect of American life, and things rarely learned in a classroom.

I love history and found the stories interesting, especially stories like the piece about Washington & Thomas Jefferson’s slave chefs, Hercules and James Hemings (Jefferson’s French trained chef and uncle to at least 5 of his children), the story of the oyster trade, etc.

I did notice host, Stephen Satterfield’s, many one-note “oh, wow, delicious”. But mostly saw it as politeness. His sweet, quiet, almost selfless demeanor was a refreshing departure from most food show hosts. He was an observer who let his guests share their experiences.

About the food - as the series progressed the dishes from the African roots to the modern refinement of today’s young African-American chefs was incredibly satisfying and drool-worthy to me.

Happy Eating & Learning!

7 Likes

I don’t think I did. Rice was here before or in parallel with the slave trade from Europe. What my research indicates African-Americans contributed were agricultural practices to increase the efficiency of growing rice. That also came from Asia but reached the Americas through Africa.

Yes, IIRC that’s what the series indicates. I plan on watching it again. TBC… maybe.

The Cooking Gene by Michael Twitty is a fine memoir (no notes, though there is a bibliography) showing the author learning how to improve authenticity as he shows AA cooking in plantation exhibitions.

4 Likes

I have that book too!

2 Likes

This is what I am watching. I think there is more about season 2, but I can’t find it.

I haven’t seen anything about Season 2 either.

Do you mean elsewhere online, or on Hungry Onion? I thought I had seen a mention of season 2 here on HO.

1 Like

Probably on HO.

I love Michael Twitty. His newest book, Kosher Soul, was published in 2022. His life and works are fascinating.

3 Likes