Help tonight - I don't know how to cook bacon

:oh, one of those… but, can she cook?

She makes a mean potato salad.

Passive-aggressive mean, or straight up mean?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Well, I’ll be!

My electric stove’s broiler invariably burns anything placed higher than the middle rack. Maybe that’s because you are SUPPOSED to leave the door open slightly, which I invariably fail to do. Then there’s the smoke factor. I suspect an inverse relationship between the use of smoke alarms and broilers.

5 Likes

I tried the water method this past weekend and I will stay with my oven method for cooking thick bacon.

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

My mom used it for steaks. I still remember that smell, and seeing it flame up a touch.

This was me from a very early age, and still is.

I vividly remember the first time I had shatter bacon. I was probably 10. My dad had a deer hunting buddy from their childhood, “Happy”, who made bacon in camp every morning after the first hunt. I remember being amazed that Hap’s bacon was this totally crunchy thing that tasted so much like bacon.

Every so often, when I’m surprised by that degree of rendering of shatter bacon IN something, I like it. But most times, it must have some chew to please me.

3 Likes

In the resto, I like to call it whimpy bacon. I used to love the crunch, now I like a bit more chew.

In my “curated feed” today. I wonder why. :thinking:

"Individuals who have tried this tip have noted the bacon is definitely chewy rather than crunchy, so if you’re going for crispy bacon, you might want to skip this one. "

3 Likes

Looks good to me and I’ll give it a try, but any food/kitchen writer who uses the word “hack” over and over again in an article (or even once, IMHO) should have her or his article printed out, taken behind the barn, and horsewhipped to shreds (edit - to be clear, the article gets this treatment, not the author - the author just has to watch).

Teaching your toaster to sing the Ave Maria like Pavarotti would be “a hack”. Folding, rolling, etc. a food product before roasting it doesn’t seem to be “a hack” to me. Back when we had CRT monitors at work I’d put my ham and cheese sandwich atop it, with a folded paper “tent” to trap more heat, about a half hour before lunch to warm the meat and melt the cheese. That’s not “a hack” either - just taking advantage of a readily available heat source.

• While this hack was initially used to make a full bacon slice easy to fit into a handbag, it has a bonus side effect of…
  • This is where the hack comes in clutch for those wanting to cook a bunch of bacon all at once.
  • Still, if you’re looking to incorporate a bunch of bacon … this hack may help you with meal prepping.

There’s also another meaning for the word hack that refers to a certain type of journalist. I think maybe it should apply to any journo who seems to be in love with the word.

OKAY, where’s the emoji for “Rant Off”?
:innocent:

4 Likes

I am on the chewy end of the great bacon spectrum and prefer stovetop cooking. I really do not mind if it comes out in a curl. I especially like the easy of pouring the rendered fat into the bacon jar. Bacon fat is so good for so many things. I cannot think of a better way to bake cornbread.

5 Likes

Yeah, this use of “hack”annoys me too. Immediately removes all credibility.

Of course, there’s the use for taxis, too. I’m not going down the OED wormhole; don’t worry

2 Likes

Don’t get me started: Hack. Bucket list. GOAT.

4 Likes

I’m knitting a bucket hat right now. Does that count?:joy::yarn:

2 Likes

A good use for bacon and a broiler is to split a hot dog lengthwise, fill the gap with cheddar, wrap some bacon around it in a spiral, and broil it. You may want to start it in a hot oven (no broiler) to cook the bottom. It never bothered me.

2 Likes

The kind with beer cans incorporated? Something that’s always in style!

Is it on a list?