Help tonight - I don't know how to cook bacon

Good. He and I have the same taste preference. I am never one of those crispy bacon persons.

1 Like

I often cook a half of package of bacon (6-8 slices) at time in my toaster oven slightly under my preferred crispiness so I can make a egg/bacon sandwich on a slice of Dave’s bread for breakfast for several days. Throw my bacon slice in the pan, fat coats the cast iron, bacon finishes cooking and then I add my egg.
You might consider this when SO is not around, cuts the cook time down for when he is hungry.

And there is pre-cooked bacon that requires a re-heat. Not sure how it tastes, but have seen it at the market.

2 Likes

If you didn’t think Spring Onion (SO) is coddled, you will now. He wanted a burger for dinner tonight (mind you, he ate 5 strips of bacon afterschool). Yesterday, B purchased a hunk of ground beef to make burgers for SO. B suggested a bacon cheese burger to SO (which is B’s preference) but that was too over-the-top for SO.

B fired up the grill for 1 burger slider (on a pretzel roll). I was miffed at using the grill for this…

IMG_4191

Well, at least that’s one less thing to do for me. B is gradually becoming SO’s personal chef, a role which I gladly relinquish. :laughing:

9 Likes

another advantage to the toaster oven: no paper towels to soak up the fat, which i strain into a jar and use for eggs, cornbread, or grilled cheese.

4 Likes

I like a little crunch in most bacon-ey things, but I definitely don’t like it so rendered out that it deconstructs with the first bite.

1 Like

I like some chew left in mine, but not to the point of seeing light colored, un-rendered fat; if that happens the cat or visiting dogs get a little treat. I can handle it a bit crispy, so long as it’s not desiccated.

3 Likes

Hmm. First, I have the taste preference of Tim’s dog for eating frozen/cold Sara Lee pound cake. Now, I have your cat/dog preference of tender and soft bacon.

4 Likes

Heh. Not this American. I want my bacon chewy, not crispy. I solve this dilemma when eating breakfast out by getting either a slice of grilled ham or Canadian Bacon with my eggs. Because I know the bacon will always show up dry and crumbly. And it won’t be good bacon anyway.

2 Likes

Looks like toaster oven is the way for you to go. (And I’ll try that next myself! I usually only make 2 or 3 slices at a time, and have a flat skillet to use on the stovetop and pour the fat off. But I like the idea of using my Breville. I’ve done the microwave, and you have to be careful to avoid it over-crisping.

2 Likes

Here’s my bacon method: Line a sheet pan with foil (to make clean-up easier). Arrange bacon in a single layer with no overlapping slices - I can get about a pound and a half of thick-sliced bacon in one pan. Lay a sheet of parchment on top of the bacon (contains the splatter). Put pan on upper-middle position in a cold oven and turn it on to 450F. After about 20 minutes, rotate the pan. Start checking for doneness after 25 minutes in 2 minute intervals.

When the bacon is at the juicy/chewy stage, pull it out and drain off the accumulated grease to a jar to save for other flavorful uses. Put any leftover bacon in zipper bags and either refrigerate or freeze. There’s only two of us, so it takes us a little while to go through a batch. When we want some bacon, we just take out the requisite number of slices and warm them in a frying pan for just a couple of minutes to keep it juicy and chewy, or leave it in the pan a little longer to make it crispy.

Spawn2 says the best use for bacon grease is to fry sourdough bread to be used for a BLT. I think my cardiologist would have kittens if I told her about that.

5 Likes

If you have a paper bag and some old newspapers, they can be used. If you are a paper paperless household, I don’t know what else can be done.

1 Like

This morning’s batch…toaster oven, about 15 minutes total

6 Likes

Easy to save the fat that way, too.

1 Like

Happy to take that off of your hands. Looks like you have a surplus :wink:

3 Likes

I use my toaster oven on broil for 2 slices, approx 10 minutes, flip at 5, start checking at 8. Perfect med, crisp. If I do 4 slices I rotate (outside slices switched with inside slices) when I flip at 5 minutes. I don’t use a rack, bacon grease is what makes bacon bacon.

2 Likes

In this house, there is no such thing as surplus bacon. :yum: :bacon:

3 Likes

Of course not. I think the smokey air outside clouded my thoughts :wink:

6 Likes

OK, I’m curious. No-one else has mentioned that they cook it under the grill . Which prompts the question - do American kitchens not generally have grills (a professional kitchen would call it a salamander)? It’s where I would cook a anything like a steak, sausage, chop, as well as bacon. Or something like cheese on toast. It’s just such a common item here - in fact, our new double oven unit, has a grill setting in each oven. I couldnt easily manage without it.

I think the US equivalent is the broiler, an electric coil on the top of the oven that sears
food.
What Is a Broiler? | Whirlpool

5 Likes

I use the sheet pan in the oven method. I’ve been known to cook bacon just to get the fat to add to a pot of beans. Of course I eat the bacon, but nothing makes beans better than bacon grease, IMO.

1 Like