Help plan our visit to Portugal - June 2023

I concur. We were in Lisbon for only 5 days, and yet welcomed a fabulous brunch place that was decidedly US-oriented (pancakes, eggs benny, etc.).

(post deleted by author)

I have to confess that I had pizza(delicious) after 9 days of the 11days I spent in Lisbon and (Valencia), not because I was sick of Portuguese food but because I was lazy and it was convenient :slight_smile: I also try to go to the McDonalds in every city I visit, for science! Having said that, I wouldn’t travel anywhere to eat non-local cuisine.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I was hoping to stop by Mercearia Gadanha for lunch on the way from Marvao but now that I added Castelo de Vide to the mix, it may not happen. I also got my eyes on Adega dos Ramalhos when I visit Monsaraz and Elvas. Also looking for an interesting winery in that area thats open on a Sunday

Funny you mentioned pizza in Paris on another post. I’m planning a week in October and Peppe by Père Lachaise got my attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should probably have a mention in the Guiness book of records, having never eaten in a McDonald in my life… Just never appealed to me :yum: :yum: :yum: After reading you, maybe I should try before I die!

2 Likes

In the area of Marvão / Portalegre, there are some remarquable restaurants! In Alter do Chão, the “Pateo Real” of Chef Filipe Ramalho; in Portalegre “Tomba Lobo” Chef José Julio Vintem; in Vaiamonte the charming “Taberna Tinto e Petiscos” and in Monforte the luxury Wine-Hotel “Torre da Palma” with its Roman ruins and the restaurant of Michelin Chef Miguel Laffan. All worth a visit… but it would take a few days :o)

Thank you. We’ll try them all!

I struggle here with how many meals per day. It seems like a rustic Tuscan-like cuisine, so I wonder if something like Taberna Tinto e Petiscos for lunch, and Taberna Típica Quarta-feira for dinner is too much.

I also struggle with Castelo de Vide. Looks charming, but a stop there will make the day quite long, and we’ll have luggage in the car coming from Tomar. So Tomar - Castelo de Vide - Marvão - Evora, with lunch

If you are going to finally try a Le Big Mac, might as well make it in Porto :wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately like many things, the quality has gone down and the price has gone up. These days I rarely frequent Mc D’s because there’s so many better options now. Give it a try, what have you got to lose? :smiley:

I took a look at the Portuguese McDonald’s menu. In addition to some special burgers, they offer soup, which Canadian McDonald’s do not offer.I didn’t try McDonald’s when I was in Portugal. Maybe next time.

Some special McD options in Portugal that I haven’t seen in North America

A gluten-free section https://www.mcdonalds.pt/produtos/sanduiches-sem-gluten

1 Like

Ziggy,
I heartedly second Monchique’s recommendation of Tombalobos in Portalegre, which is just a short drive from Castelo de Vide. It’s one of the best dining experiences in the Alto Alentejo. Diro o the Pateo Real in Alter do Chão.
When we visit Castelo de Vide we head to one of the above for lunch.
There’s also the charming and cozy Solar do Forçado in Portalegre, with a nice wine list and delicious beef skewers.

2 Likes

Once you’ve tried a Francesinha in Porto, you will never want to eat a hamburger again :woozy_face:

1 Like

My self esteem :rofl:

2 Likes

I like both :grinning:
There’s enough love in my heart to love burgers and francesinhas. I tried my first francesinha in Porto. Toronto (where @PedroPero is also based ) has at least half a dozen Portuguese restaurants that keep francesinhas on the menu, for people who are craving them :blush:

Take a close look at my avatar, my friend. You may need to click on it for a closer view. Since its not that obvious, I may need to update it when I have it again.

Thanks Maribel!

Looks like the only way for me to do Tombalobos without rushing things is with some backtracking. Tomar - Castelo de Vide - Tombalobos - back to Marvão - Evora. That could work if its worth it.

Portions in the Alentejo are generally huge. Don’t hesitate to ask for a half-portion (meia dose), or share a main course especially if you intend to do both lunch and dinner. And skip big breakfasts at the hotel! You might need a break after 2 days :o)

1 Like

Sounds good. We are actually 4 adults with mild stomach shrinkage. Meaning early 50’s

1 Like

LOL! Self esteem is over rated :smiley: and I’ll take a good burger over Francesinha any day of the week

1 Like