Help plan our visit to Portugal - June 2023

Me too. CR has the beer tap for 2 Euros as you wait. That was a lifesaver, but very much worth the wait.

Having a small child changes my recommendations a lot. Let me give it a think.

1 Like

There’s no longer a wait at Ramiro if you reserve online. They began accepting reservations by email only and only at 7:30 or before, but now one can book online via The Fork thus saving a long wait.

4 Likes

I might go there now… never been because I don’t do queues for restaurants :o)

1 Like

The beer tap was def a life saver, but now they take reservations, so I hear.

1 Like

We are looking forward to our three nighter at the Convento in June. And the only restaurant I marked so far is Fialho.

All of the advice has been super helpful. Thank you!

Now we’re leaning toward Itinerary A, but with Days 4 and 5 in Evora.

Once we’ve got the locations set, I’ll be back with plenty more restaurant/food questions. Thanks so much!

Dave

1 Like

Ziggy,
Evora has undergone a restaurant renaissance in the last couple of years, with exciting places in addition to the older, classic Fialho. It´s become a gourmet mecca.

Look at Origens, Momentos, Cavalariça, Híbrido, A Bruxa. Several young chefs doing some creative things here.

2 Likes

Thanks Maribel. Will take a look

Very much so! Lots of new blood… The Palacio Cadaval (where Cavalariça is located) is interesting to visit, they always have nice exhibitions, and the chapel of the palace is worth a visit on its own. https://www.palaciocadaval.com/en/

1 Like

Thanks for these suggestions! Taberna do Lebre looks really good! Looks like it’s just open for dinner, but starting early enough that it would be easy enough to eat there and then drive back to Guimaraes.

I speak Spanish, so I feel like we’d certainly make do in a Portuguese-speaking-only establishment. Plus we’re happy/willing to eat anything. Might be a fun adventure.

Let me know if you have other suggestions for family-friendly places in/around Evora too.

Thanks!
Dave

2 Likes

Taberna Tipica Quarta-Feira in Evora is pretty family friendly, I believe - I haven’t been (they are always booked when we’re in Evora) but we have friends who’ve gone and brought their kids.

1 Like

I was recently in Porto and Lisbon. (And Madrid)

Standouts:
Lisbon - Encanto 1* tops the list for vegetarians. Impressive.
Augusto Lisboa for ‘healthy’ brunch fare.
Cervejaria Ramiro - one and done.
Honest Greens - Europe treats vegetarians far better than the US. Wish they’d open in the US.

Porto - Gruta was really good.
Mercado do Bolhao - Of course a must visit
Brasao Coliseu - The legendary Francesinha is a big calorie sink.

You can visit my blog to see the gory detail.

5 Likes

My husband B had one in Lisboa and was like, “ok, I never have to do that again.” :melting_face:

1 Like

Thank you! Will check these out!

Trying to finalize my Evora list. I take it that Tua Madre should be a worthy consideration based on your comment? I figured by that point of the trip, the group might be hankering some Italian

I’m also considering Taberna Típica Quarta-feira, Origens, and Sunday lunch at Mercearia Gadanha.

1 Like

In my opinion, yes, definitely hit up Tua Madre! I don’t know if you’ll be tired of traditional Portuguese food by then but either way the food is great and will be an interesting change.

i support fully the Taberna Quarta-Feira and Origens. Mercearia Gadanha is tops and well worth the visit, but it is in Estremoz, not in Évora… But I fail to see why anybody would come all the way to Portugal to eat Italian fusion food??? Go to Fialho instead for a Portuguese experience.

3 Likes

Because good food is good food, no matter where you eat it! I wouldn’t say travel all the way to Portugal specifically to eat at Tua Madre, but it is interesting to see the marriage of Italian techniques with Alentejano produce. My dinners at Tua Madre have been among the best meals I’ve had in Portugal in my 4+ years of living here, and for what it’s worth my food-obsessed Portuguese husband agrees.

1 Like

I am not trying to start an argument, but there is a difference between a resident of Portugal (or a Portuguese for that matter) and a tourist trying to discover / sample Portuguese food and culture in a few days. I have lived in Portugal for 40 years, and have sampled most regional Portuguese dishes, and also agree that I welcome a different cuisine when I have a chance!
Having pizza in Paris is OK for Parisians but not automatically for first time visitors :o)

1 Like

Oh I agree that a resident of Portugal and a visitor may have different food interests and priorities… but I also think that if someone visiting a country for a week or two may want to try something a little outside the traditional cuisine at some point. My experience with visitors to Portugal is that even those who love Portuguese food may want something different at some point in their trip.

2 Likes