Help! Baking/cake or cookie recipe

A few weeks ago there was some sort of interruption that caused me to stop and put the butter sugar mix in the fridge. I’d like to use it but haven’t found a recipe to match the mix I have. Any suggestion appreciated.
Mix is: 8 oz butter and 2 cups sugar
(Seems sugar heavy and I have no clue as to what I was originally making)

Perhaps you were baking a cake?
I’m not sure if you would have to adjust the water content to this recipe. I bake but not nearly as experienced as @Nannybakes, @mig, @jammy, @MonicaMadeIt, @sallyt or @CaitlinM.
I would trust anything that they have to say. I’m sure that I’m omitting some valuable bakers from CH. Those are just a few of the names that I can think of off the top of my head.

I think there are a lot of cookie recipes that you could make. You just need to find a recipe that uses at least 8 oz of butter and 1 cup of sugar. For example, this KA sugar cookie recipe uses 8 oz butter and 1 1/4 cups of sugar, so you could make this recipe by adding an extra 1/4 cup of sugar.

I would just look for a cookie recipe that appeals to you and see if you can adjust either the butter or sugar as needed.

Edit: Just noticed that you said you have 2 cups sugar. The same concept still applies, but the example that I gave above is not a good one. Here is a cake that uses 8 oz butter and 2 cups sugar.

1 Like

Yes! It must have been a cake. Thanks. Narrows my searches.

1 Like

8 oz butter and 2 cups sugar is definitely cake territory - pound cake? Or coffee cake - my favorite old school sour cream coffee cake uses that proportion. Recipe below:

2 sticks butter
2 c. Sugar (can be reduced to 1.5)
2 eggs
1 t. Vanilla
1 c. Sour cream
2 c. Flour
1 t. Baking powder
1/4 t. Salt

Cinnamon sprinkle
3/4-1 c. Brown sugar
2-3 t. Cinnamon
3/4-1 c. Chopped walnuts

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla; add sour cream and mix well. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and fold into wet ingredients. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts and layer with batter in greased tube or bundt pan. Bake at 350 for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan.

2 Likes

The butter and sugar have been in the fridge for a few weeks.
I’m not an experienced baker (and as I mentioned upthread about water content)
should the liquid in the cake recipe be adjusted because of that?

Beginning to wonder if I want to invest more time & ingredients to ‘save’ my mistake……

I was wondering if it was usable.
These are the questions that I would want answered:
*When the mixture is brought back to room temperature and re whipped would it reconstitute itself?
*Does the liquid need to be adjusted?
*Should one just toss it and start over?
Unfortunately, I can’t answer those questions and just have an analytical brain.
Was really hoping that someone with more baking experience would chime in.
If you can afford the time and money on ingredients it might be a fun experiment to try and report back?
You never know might be the best cake you ever tasted.
Sometimes good things come from what we often view as a mistake.

What a nice optimistic viewpoint! But I’m leaning towards ditching it🤫

1 Like

Awe but inquiring minds like me really want to know.
Maybe someday, I’ll do the expeiment and report back.
It’s not a lot of $$$ to lose by tossing it out and starting over.
At least you got a few good recipes posted on this thread out of it. :blush:

1 Like