Bloke 2 - “Chicken tarka masala.”

Bloke 1 - “What’s it like?”

Bloke 2 - “Just like chicken tikka masala, but a little 'otter.”

1 Like

:slight_smile: I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Tarka the Otter…

I think you meant tarka dal.

As told to me by my work unit’s then accountant - who had heard it from someone at his mosque.

It’s one of the best food jokes I can recall.

Is there an award for the most obscure post of the month? ;o))))

Made my laff…

That must be a greater part of the social fabric across the pond.… not a reference point for me at least.

Q: What do you call cheese that isn’t yours?
A: Nacho cheese!

It had never occured to me that the novel and film would seem to be fairly unknown on the western side of the Atlantic.

Obscure?

Do you not appreciate that my telling of how I came by the joke seriously unpicks stereotypical generalisations.

Yes, accountants can be humourous.

I was surprised as well. I had to google it. The book has been constantly in print since something like 1927 - the film was in the late 70’s - and it was listed as one of the top 100 family films … all of which mean I should have heard about it but, no. Amazing how some of the cultural norms stay so regional even in today’s internet world.

And I have Brits in several parts of my family. If the otter has been on BBC America or PBS I must gave missed it. OTOH Winnie The Pooh is a different ‘animal’.

I’m from the same side of the pond as Harters and have never heard of it.

1 Like

Odd. I’ve been a voracious reader since I was a kid (mom had as at the library 2 or 3 times a week) and was even a Lit major. I never heard of Tarka the Otter or Henry Williamson. Fascinating; especially given the sheer volume of British works that are mainstays of American young reading.

I remember it from my school days in the UK but oddly thought the film adaption was much earlier than '79. I was jumping around to punk by then so can’t imagine seeing it then.