Hay is for Horses, Autumn is for Bakers (Oct-Dec 2015)

I say that because I’m pretty sure blackstrap has less sugar content than regular and is more bitter, less sweet than traditional molasses. But don’t quote me! :wink:

Looks really good, JT! My edition lacks this recipe and that’s a shame. Thank you for sharing… How did it taste?

It was really simple but good. The kind of crumb cake you would expect Grandma to serve for coffee ,not my Grandma she opened Entenmann’s, but you know what I mean. I used a spring form which made it more serve-able. I am banking that berries or peaches would work too. Comes together really easy and tastes good the kind of cake for a non-baker like me.

1 Like

Lots of baking this week.

KA Apple scones were delicious and got rave reviews! I love these cinnamon chips!

NYT chocolate chip cookies, really good flavor, but more crispy than I like, probably due to overbaking. I think I will stick with CI recipie.

KA snickerdoodles, meh, nothing special.

KA flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I love anything with pb and cc so I liked these.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fresh-apple-cinnamon-scones-recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/buttery-snickerdoodles-recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

1 Like

Can I come trick-or-treating at your house? :slight_smile: I like my old-timey snickerdoodles from Mrs. Nelson’s recipe, circa 1975, via the Hartford Courant, tested by the Connecticut Light & Power Test Kitchen. Mrs. Nelson knew what’s up! Did you know the snickerdoodle is a Connecticut original cookie?

All but the scones got donated to the church fair, but didn’t hold a candle to all the amazing Armenian pastries! Next year I have to fancy it up😀 Found the recipie you mentioned on your site, I didn’t know it was a CT thing…

1 Like

Ah, I was wondering where you were going with all of that. Would you mind educating me about the Armenian sweets? I googled and some of the food in general seems close to Greek (paklava/Aremenian, baklava/Greek; not to mention the kebabs and such). There’s still tomorrow for questing!

I tend to think of them as very similar and very much overlapping, so I may not be the best person to formally educate you on this. I have been meaning to get to the Greek festival that’s held in the spring at the Greek church. Have you been? I grew up making baklava with my dad, and if you ask me, Greek or Armenian, I’m not turning down a piece!

Yes, I have been to that Greek festival. I like that and the Waterbury one (around Mother’s Day) very much.

CCCs!

1 Like

They look crispy and chewy at the same time- just how I like 'em!

1 Like

Man, those look good!

1 Like

Halloween potluck and I typically bake, but got lazy and made toffee bark, which always get rave reviews, I could eat the whole sheet pan…

Pretzels, butter, brown sugar, salt and chocolate…so good…

1 Like

Cream cheese-swirled banana bread with pecan streusel topping. Looked so pretty on its way into the oven till I closed the door and realized the sifted dry ingredients were still on the counter. I mixed everything together and baked. Flavor and texture is still good (used a combo of butter and oil), but look forward to getting it right the next time. House smells great, regardless!

1 Like

Cream cheese-swirled banana bread cannot be bad! I’m sure they tasted (and smelled) wonderful. I think they look great.

1 Like

Torie Hallock’s Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink Cookies. Part flour, part oats. Toffee bits, dried cherries, bittersweet chocolate chunks (which I substituted with semi-sweet).
I make these every fall, they just scream pumkins on stoops and rust-colored leaf piles to me.

1 Like

What a knockout combo–mmmmmm!

Cashew Guava Thumbprint cookies. A riff on Rose LB’s thumbprint cookie recipe. Ground raw cashew in the dough, roasted salted cashews on the outside.

Buckeye brownies–breakfast of champions!

@kattyeyes - have you made actual Buckeyes before? My parents are from Ohio so I grew up with my mother and grandmothers making them at Christmas each year. However, as my palate has matured, I find their recipe (basically peanut butter and margarine mixed with enough powdered sugar to choke a horse and then dipped in melted Nestle Tollhouse morsels) WAY too sweet. I’m planning to engineer a new version myself this winter, but I was wondering if you had a recipe to share (that I might be able to borrow from!). The brownie looks amazing, BTW!