Hatch Chile Roasting in eastern MA

Hatch Chile season is upon us. I couldn’t find much info about local roasting so I facebook-messaged Wegmans. Here’s the prompt response I got:

Hello, The events in MA are scheduled as follows:
WESTWOOD #57 AUGUST 24,25,26,
BURLINGTON #59 8/31, 9/1, 9/2
CHESTNUT HILL #124 SEP 7,8,9.
Please see your store for the exact times, as these may change. Thank you!

There is no mention of roasting at the Natick store, so maybe that’s not logistically feasible in that location. I asked and will post if there’s a response.

I see Hatch Chile mac and cheese in the near future. This year I think I’ll stock up on the store-roasted, peeled and seeded chiles from the store in addition to the fresh chiles. They have the chiles separated into heat levels. Last year I carelessly got medium heat, so I’ll pay more attention this time.

6 Likes

I bought the roasted and seeded last year and was very happy with them.

1 Like

There are no Hatch events scheduled at the Natick store.

Was medium heat hot in your opinion? Or not hot enough?

Not hot enough. I had gotten extra hot the year before and that was definitely packing some heat!

2 Likes

Thank you for the intel, @bear. Some like ‘em hot.

1 Like

I made my regular mac and cheese, which is pretty rich, but sauteed onions, garlic and the extra hot Hatch chiles. I also added a generous pinch of cayenne. It was really, really delicious, and quite picante! I made it the following year with the medium chiles and cayenne and it was still really good, but didn’t have quite the bite.

3 Likes

Your preparation sounds like chile mac and cheese perfection. When is dinner, LOL?

1 Like

When I get around to making it! Maybe I’ll make that first when my new stove is finally installed. It’ll be delivered on Friday but getting a plumber for the installation may take a couple of days.

1 Like

I bought some hot ones at the Wegman’s in Chestnut Hill last year. They were awesome.

2 Likes

This year?

Fabulous intel, thanks @bear!

1 Like

No. I edited my response to add “last year”. Looking forward to them this year, however.

1 Like

Thanks. They’ll be here soon enough!

Well, sigh. I guess this info is inaccurate. My apologies for the misinformation. I went to the Burlington MA store to grab a few chiles to roast at home tonight and they said that the event has been cancelled. I’m assuming it has been in the other stores as well. I messaged to let the facebook mod know.

I called the Fresh Pond Cambridge Whole Foods and they said that there is an order scheduled for tomorrow at their store but they’re not sure it will come through. Calling tomorrow is probably the way to go.

2 Likes

Thank you for the timely update, @bear. I had planned to go to Burlington to grab some chiles this weekend. You saved me from making the trip.

1 Like

Fresh Pond Cambridge Whole Foods had some hatch chilies today. Sadly they only had mild, though. I figure we’ll throw in a few of our dragon peppers to bring the heat.

3 Likes