Happy day trip in SE MA/RI (Tiverton, Fairhaven)

We took advantage of the lovely sunny day yesterday to head down to Tiverton, RI and the New Bedford area. Made our usual stop at Coastal Roasters Coffee in Tiverton. Man, they really rock the bean and the view of the ocean can’t be beat from their shop. After a little shopping down in the 4 Corners village, we headed over to Fairhaven. My first time there and I was pleasantly surprised by the quaint, lovely homes and city architecture. We stopped at Elizabeth’s (sister restaurant to Margaret’s, which will not be open Sun afternoons during the fall/winter). We had a glass of excellent Cabernet and enjoyed their chewy foccacia, while waiting for our order of fried calamari. An outstanding version of the RI preparation, tossed in a white wine/garlic/tomato/spicy peppers saute, rather than the traditional peppers version. Theirs usually also includes linguica, which we passed on (we are pescatarians). The calamari were large rings, which can be tough and chewy if mishandled…but these were melt-in-your-mouth tender. Other dishes coming out looked delicious…we will definitely be returning. Finished off the day with a sunset stroll around Ft. Phoenix down the street. A great day!
http://www.coastalroasters.com/
http://www.margarets-restaurant.com/e

Thanks for the report. I love that area, and there are definitely some good eats around. If we could ever swing a beach house, Westport would be the spot.

whenever I go down that way I also always make a stop at Gray’s Ice Cream, which is aces

Thanks for the great report, sci chick. Tiverton and Sakonnet are favorites of ours, so it’s good to know about Coastal Roasters since we are coffee lovers. We haven’t been to Fairhaven for probably 40 years, so maybe it’s time for a visit to Margaret’s for breakfast one of these Saturday mornings with coffee afterward in Tiverton.

I wonder how Sakonnet Vineyards is doing these days? It was purchased by Alex and Ani a couple of years ago. I wonder if they’ve done anything with the wine.