Ham on the peninsula?

Honey baked ham spiral cut. Several locations in Bay Area.

1 Like

From your occasion description, I’d say you should get one of the bone-in products here: https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/srf-american-kurobuta-pork/ham.html and search for “ham glaze” online if you want to make it your own (don’t burn the glaze as they tend to be on the sweet side).

If it were me (and it has been), you can also get one of those and then another smaller (or larger!) version of either fresh or a lighter cured country ham and brine or soak it, respectively, and then finish it in the oven with whichever of those coming out within 10 or so minutes of the city ham easily.

It’s a treat (and revelation to some) to have the different styles on the same plate.

But ya, if you don’t want to do all that, go with the Snake River link, bone-in, size depending on your size. And make a glaze depending on your gaze.

two ways is a great idea! and I am certainly not above an overnight brine. Thanks for the specific reference!

Lol. Let me clarify what I meant to ask. I was actually looking for a substitute for Jinhua Ham for a bit of Jiangnan cooking. Jinhua ham isn’t sold in the US. People suggested jamon iberico, jamon serrano and prosciutto parma as substitutes. I am not married to any of them but just want to find something that’s reasonably close, and if possible, reasonably priced too.

Judging from the info I see about Jinhua Ham they are not smoked so you would would want to sub a European style air dried Ham. Almost all the dry cured country Hams are smoked.
I would suggest a 18 month Serrano, Jambon d’Ardenne or other well aged unsmoked ham (there are many). Most will be less than Iberico Ham but still not cheap. Good “Artisan” American Country Hams are not cheap either!
I think that Prosciutto di Parma is not aged enough and lacks the molds and other critters which add to the flavor that the Chinese Ham would have.

For shipping, from the producers of the famous bacon: