Halloween Candy?

We live on a street that is notorious in our town for trick or treating. I mean, ALL the kids come here. We expect 400-500 trick-or-treaters. Thus, a two part question: if you had to buy 500 pieces of candy on a budget, where would you shop? We don’t have a Costco or BJs membership. Usually Market Basket is cheapest for everything, but wondering if anyone’s seen any particularly good deals.

And second part, if you didn’t have to supply massive hordes of kids with sugar and lived in an ideal world, what would you give out? I remember making peanut butter and raisin balls rolled in coconut as a kid for trick-or-treaters. Ah, the good old days (80’s) before rumored tampering and peanut allergies…

I would stick with factory packaged goodies. People perceive them as a safer choice. I’ve seen individual packs of chips, goldfish, etc. if you want to avoid sugary things - not a bad idea. I would also suggest dried fruit roll-ups, but that can get pricey.

1 Like

Yes, obviously I’m sticking with wrapped goods. And while I’d love to give organic no-sugar-added fruit leathers, it would probably cost me $250.

The second question is a theoretical. I’m not planning on rolling out 500 peanut balls anyways.

I’m over near Davis Square in Somerville, and that’s the kind of crazy traffic we get. We frequently see carloads of kids being driven in and dropped off to trick or treat here. Quite honestly, CVS or Star Market are both decent values; the former has almost constant $5 coupons available if you’re a “card member”. What I’ve hit on over the years is a two-level candy giving strategy: I have one big bowl of super cheapo candy I give out to the many teenagers with no costumes who come by for free candy, and a second big bowl of ‘the good stuff’ given out to kids who actually put a costume on. That saves a few bucks.

2 Likes

Look at the grocery store flyers this coming week, they always have their rock bottom pre-Halloween prices one week ahead. Usually something like all Mars or all Hersheys, 2 bags for $4. Worth waiting for.

Last year I also had a big box of granola bars, Quaker probably; I think they were left from company I had just before. So I threw them in the bowl and was amazed how many kids were excited to see them. They were actually saying, oh I LOVE these. So there you go :wink:

Giant bags of Dum Dums and Tootsie rolls. They usually come in humongous packages, and when I was young I used to love little Dum Dum pops. Probably the most economical option. Can you drop by your local Target or Walmart and see if they have sales?

1 Like

My strategy is to not let kids reach in and grab from the bowl. I give 'em each two things, and that’s that. But it does mean that some years we have a lot left over. Oops.

2 Likes

Target has candy on sale currently. I’m not sure of the specifics, but I noticed the ads.

That’s a good thought, I’ll get some of those. In my experience, given the choice, every kid goes for the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups first. Butterfingers and Twix are surprisingly popular. But I’ve had multiple kids actually give Whoppers and Tootsie Rolls back to me and say “no thanks”!

I’m with them on the Whoppers, though my wife loves them. Our mix this year is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, Twix and Skittles. We grabbed the candy at Wegmans last week, but I honestly didn’t even look at the prices.

FWIW, I read that if a homeowner has treats safe for kids with allergies (nuts, gluten)
they should put out a teal pumpkin http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Why-You-May-Spot-Teal-Pumpkins-This-Halloween-333052891.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand .

Oriental Trading Company sells large lots of small things like holiday-themed erasers, pencils, and toys. They are super-cheap.

For those whose circumstances make homemade treats feasible, bag them individually and put your address label inside the bag. A good way to use all those unrequested labels you receive from charities looking for donations. Point this out to the kids and tell them their parents should contact you if they have questions. This should reduce the instances of treats being automatically thrown away.

BJ’s often sends out free trial membership offers. Sometimes separate postcards, sometimes part of those blue envelopes promoting local companies.

Ingrates! :wink:

So far the best I’m seeing is 2 for $5, I might just go to BJs to stock up.

1 Like