Halifax West Yorkshire- beer, pork pie and fish and chips

During a week walking around Hebden Bridge I was craving fish and chips. I walked past the shop in Hebden Bridge one evening and not only were there no customers or staff to be seen, there were at least three fish sitting in the warmer. This was not a good sign so I decided to pop to Halifax for the afternoon the next day.

Prior to having fish and chips in Halifax I popped into The Victorian Craft Beer Cafe. They had a excellent range of beers and very good pork pies. Beautiful pastry on the pork pies and displayed under a glass dome on the bar, as it should be.None of this fridge cold pork pies, thank you very much. I probably should have had three rather than four beers but the staff were friendly and the atmosphere was very convivial.

The Victorian Craft Beer Cafe
18-22 Powell St, Halifax HX1 1LN

So to the fish and chips. I did a fair bit of research and found somewhere , where the Google reviews frequently mentioned both ,cooked in beef fat and cooked to order, the optimum for fish and chips in my book. It was a two mile walk ( I may have got bit lost), mainly uphill. But my was it worth it. The batter was beautifully crisp with soft flaky fish, fat slightly soft chips cooked , both cooked in beef fat. Also proper mushy peas, none of this neon runny stuff. I grabbed a bottle of beer from a local shop near by and sat on a bench in the nearby Wellesley Park. It took me right back to visiting my gran in Yorkshire as a child, a real Proustian moment.

Summer Heywoods Fish & Chips
444 Gibbet St, Halifax HX2 0AX

12 Likes

I should never have read this when I’m hungry!! Looks wonderful.

5 Likes

You can’t beat them when they’re cooked in beef dripping. Yorkshire seems to be the only place you really come across it these days. On this side of the Pennines, it’s usually oil these days - which means they can flog them to non meat eaters, as well as omnivores.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic thanks for sharing. I remember stopping off at some town in the Pennines year’s ago and the fish shop was adjacent to a Chinese restaurant and the batter tasted of sweet and sour chicken.

America’s greatest “Scottish” restaurant was an adherent before succumbing to the realities of pleasing its mass market:

1 Like

A good read. Malcolm Gladwell has also done an excellent podcast in his Revisionist History podcast about the demise of the original McDonald’s fries.

2 Likes