Half-Ass Ragu

Tomorrow I want to make fresh pasta with a ragu meat sauce, and I don’t want to go to the store. I have onions, garlic, celery, BTB, a 28oz can of SM tomatoes, lots of dried Italian spices.

What I am missing from recipes I have used in the past are carrots (don’t think that is a big deal), and about half of the beef (only 2/3 lb.) most recipes call for with 28oz of tomatoes.

Is this a big deal with only about half the beef called for. I have some bacon, but only about 1/3 pound which still brings me about 30% short.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

You’re good to go.

3 Likes

Sounds fine to me. I’d use the bacon too!

3 Likes

Should I fry it up before hand and add it towards the end, or add it to the beef/veggies and cook it with them?

Never done bacon in a ragu.

Grind it up and render it first, then use the fat to saute your vegetables before you add the ground beef.

4 Likes

I’d chop up the bacon and add it when you add the beef - essentially treat it like you’d see pancetta treaded in a recipe.

One thing carrots add, besides their flavor, is a little sweetness. So if the sauce doesn’t taste balanced in the end, it might need a little sugar YMMV.

4 Likes

Ha ha… both sound good but I am leaning towards @biondanonima

I’d fry it at the beginning and use some of the fat along with some olive oil to saute the beef/veggies. Personally I’d just leave it in the whole cooking time. To me these kinds of sauces are very flexible and forgiving! Who knows- you might invent a new favorite!

1 Like

To make Bolognese Ragù for 6 you have enough Beef and you could sub the Bacon for the Pork(I would give it a quick blanch to get rid of some of the salt/smoke/sugar that is has.)
Carrots are the real missing ingredient.
The Recipe that I know only has Beef Mince, Pork Mince, Butter, Onion, Carrots, Celery, Red Wine, Milk and Tomato Paste.

If I was going to use bacon . I would blanch it to take the smokiness out of it .

2 Likes

I’m a fan of smoky flavors, but I guess not everybody is! :grinning:

1 Like

Love smoky, just not in Bolognese Ragù :smiley:

2 Likes

You have all the ingredients for making spaghetti amatriciana without needing the beef. Simple quick and oh so good. I rarely have guanciale so use bacon instead all the time. The pastas in Rome are often made with quick sauces.

Essentially doing this with a frozen half rack baby backs and 2 frozen Italian sausages.

Still in the stew pot. Bones in still for flavor I guess. They are loose now

Added fish sauce and ketsup

Also trinity plus carrots

5 Likes

I have a plethora of dried mushrooms on hand for such emergencies.

2 Likes

I always wanted to cook a plethora.

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing:

In the end this came out great. Woulda liked some parsley or parm but I made what I had and it worked out. (I don’t put a ton of sauce on my spaghetti).

4 Likes

That looks spicy!

Crushed red pepper flakes don’t really move the heat needle for me anymore!

Howlin rays howlin hot plus and hotboys extra hot do! I get a nice buzz off of that…runner’s high! Possible vindaloo sighting for me later!