Growing Small Fruit Trees

My pears are doing well!!

5 Likes

Beautiful! Do you have plans for them?

This is about it.

https://tenor.com/vfBD.gif

1 Like

Yum! I love pears and would be jealous of such a good crop. Beautiful tree and fruit.

1 Like

My saw broke at the end of last season and I didn’t get to prune them as I normally would, so they are “overgrown” in my opinion. I’m definitely going to take “some off the top” this fall, but this is by far the best crop we’ve had in years. The other benefit is 90% of the fruit is above deer level, so they aren’t decimating our crop as they have in previous years.

2 Likes

Nice!

Years ago patients gave me and husband boxes of pears from a local farms in Suisun that seemed doomed at the time.

I seem to recall making something like apple sauce but with pears. I may have made pear “butter” as well.

Bella Vista Ranch. Perhaps not the same ranch but the same idea.

2 Likes

Missed your question
 They are in fairly small 10-inch diameter pots, scheduled to repot them to bigger pots in the coming week.

2 Likes

My grandparents and mother are the ones born with “green thumbs” ! I will ask my mom when I see her later for lunch.

She grows several types of fruits 
 and vegetables too.

2 Likes

You can begin the plant process so it will root in a 41 CENTI-METRE OR A 16 INCH POT 

She grows a few of the following: Lemons, red bosc pears, tiny crab apples, black berries, tiny oranges (not kumquats), rasberries, blueberries, and from time to time apricots and plums or strawberries.

One of the positives is that the planters can be moved to a sunnier location or a warmer location.

The lowest temperature should not go below 5 degrees Centig.

Hope this was helpful.

1 Like

So I had these two guys who were turning notably brown, generally a sign of ripening, so I picked them. Nope! Not ready yet!! lol They were quite tart. So much so I couldn’t finish more than the one slice I took.

3 Likes

Well, that’s a first- I looked up ‘slip pit method stone fruit’ on Google and came up with- nothing.

Splain me, please

1 Like

I think I tried removing the pit after a few days of sun drying,

1 Like

This is really good information, thank you so much for posting it.

1 Like

This has been a bizarre summer, weather-wise, brutally hot (115 and bone dry once or twice). My runty little fig tree, however, which is in a too-small pot, managed to crank out about a dozen enormous figs, which I covered up with sections of old panty hose that I knot at one end and use as a bag over the fruit. The figs were enormous- not surprisingly, a tad watery due to the frequent watering it needed, but tasted wonderful.
fig

Add images here

3 Likes

A friend moved from Alaska to Oregon. The new house has a lot of edible stuff growing. The first year they came home one day around this time of year and there were lots of dead squirrels lying around in the yard. They were horrified and scared until they realized that the squirres had been eating the fermenting plums lying around on the ground and were actually passed out drunk.
They also share the plums with a deer and the twin fawns she brings around every year. She sends photos :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the topic is the ambarella fruit.
“ambarella” (Spondias dulcis) is a big tree but the biologically modified type can be grown in a pot like that. Usually the trees get full of fruits during the season. It grows up to around 4 or 5 feet maximum, and gives hundreds of fruits at a time.
It can be prepared into a sweet and sour chutney/sauce that’s great with many dishes.

1 Like

I picked my first pear about 5 weeks ago when they looked ripe and fully developed. Well it was hard and sour so we left them. Had a couple last week and they were delicious, now I saw a few fell and one rotten on the vine so I picked the rest.

So sweet and juicy, a good harvest this year. The birds got my peaches earlier in the season and the deer got my cherries, plumbs and pomegranates. Next year I fence them in.

5 Likes

Thinking of moving my pluots to a small spot cleared by the youngsters, and one cleared the heat and drought. One used to include a nectarine that I loved. Does it matter that nectarines are not hard to buy around here? Leaving the Blenheim Apricot in the container, and looking to improve the irrigation on the fig.

1 Like

I think the fig had WAAY too much wood chip mulch.

More intense fruit tree plan.

Kinda psyched this year I wrapped my peach tree and this far I have peaches! (Still a few fell) I’ve had this tree 6± years and have only gotten peaches it’s first year. After that it would bare fruit I would lose it by this point, birds were my suspect. Not this year!!!

3 Likes