Growing edible flowers

Maybe interesting to some? A list of edibles flowers that you can plant in your garden.

Last year I would like to grow nasturtiums, but it was too late, so it has to be this year!

https://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

I have not had good luck with nasturtiums. I think it just gets too hot for them in my climate. Scented geraniums do well and I purchase them as summer potted plants some years. I use the leaves to flavor sugar, simple syrups, brewed tea and fruit compotes. Marigolds are easy to grow here - I’ll have to remember to try eating the flowers this summer! I have both glads and day lilies planted. I hadn’t known the glads were edible -thanks!

1 Like

If growing from seed use a nail file and lightly abrade before soaking overnight. I tried that last year and had 100% germination! Prior years my rate was around 40%.

1 Like

Thanks for your tips! I read they attract a lot of insects and quite problematic…
Their leaves are edible too.

Among the list, I have grown:

• Begonia (didn’t know they were edible)
  • Marigolds (quite easy, but the myth that they make tomatoes healthier doesn’t seem to stand)
  • Dandelions (aren’t they weed?!)
  • Fuchsia (edible?!)
  • giant sunflowers
  • Roses
  • Japanese ginger (Zingiber mioga) got them last autumn, the flowers are edible
  • citrus blossoms
  • zucchini blossoms (grow them for the flowers than for the zucchini)
  • herbs blossoms…

Last year I would like to get the edible jasmin, but didn’t buy the right variety only the India jasmin, smells good, but not edible.

Chinese dry them to use in soup desserts.

I’ve eaten the day lilies that grow wild near our cabin. The buds are good sliced and eaten raw, or lightly grilled. The open flowers I’m not so crazy about.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I like growing edible flowers on my deck by the kitchen to throw in salads and desserts. I did not know peony is edible. I have lots of those. I like borage. They really do taste like cucumber but be warned that they reseed like crazy. At least at my house.

1 Like

Pretty on desserts too.

BTW, check the Latin names provided to make sure the plants you have are the edible spieces .

That is a very good point. I plan to investigate the peony before ingesting.