growing basil in nyc apartment

in the suburbs we had three different types of basil growing in large pots. We used it for thai curry, pizza, pesto, etc. Now that we live in a NYC apartment, wondering if anyone grows it indoors and if so, how?

best,

1 Like

I’m going to be a downer. Sorry. I’ve picked up 3 or 4 kinds of basil from places like Pike Nurseries, and because I have a Black Thumb, they always die.

The good news is, anyone who is Not Me seems to have not problem growing sweet and thai basil in their kitchen - just give it some window sunlight.

Just don’t be me. Mr. Black Thumb.

3 Likes

Sure, sunny window, or if not possible invest in a grow light, or a little indoor garden kit.

2 Likes

I had a small pot (the little ones from WF or TJ, moved into a larger container) one year - went nuts in the window (sunny for part of the day, bright the rest). Did better than any other herbs before or after. There was a lot of pesto that year.

2 Likes

We buy basil plants at Trader Joe’s and put them in a small pot that we keep filled with water on our kitchen counter in front of a window. They often last longer than we can use them up - this last one is going on 8-10 weeks.

2 Likes

Like Midlife, I buy basil plants from the produce area of my market and put them in a glass of water in the window. They do find there. I just buy a plant or two more when needed.

1 Like

thanks for thoughtful replies, the little store bought plants work for pizza but for pesto i’ll need a large pot of the stuff. we used to order seeds from italy every year, thinking a grow light is a good start.

best,

1 Like

The little pots become big plants if you move them into a real planter and let them grow. (That was my big pesto year.)

A friend has an aerograden with basil and lettuce and loves it.

thanks, we’ll give it a try! we do have an aerogarden but it doesn’t grow enough basil for pesto.

Where is @ small_h ? She has a veritable green grocery growing on her balcony.

My neighbor has recently become enamored of pesto. And he feeds my cat, so….

Rosemary and thyme and catnip are all up for grabs.